Original Surface Pro tossed into clearance bin, now starting at $699

Jos

Staff

Sales of Microsoft’s new Surface Pro 2 kicked off this week both online and through the company’s retail stores. Though at $899 without a keyboard (or $999 with) the Intel-based, full Windows 8.1 tablet is dangerously close to ultrabook territory, those looking for a bargain or anyone who doesn’t need to be on the cutting edge can now find the original Pro at $699 for the 64GB model and $799 for the 128GB.

This is the second $100 price cut in two months for the device. Back in August, Microsoft trimmed Surface Pro prices from the earlier $899 for the 64GB version and $999 for the 128GB option to $799 and $899, respectively. It was limited time offer but the company made the change permanent in the following weeks.

microsoft surface pro

Similarly, the new offer expires on December 31st, or while supplies last. It’s unlikely that Microsoft is planning to sell whatever inventory remains of the original Surface Pro after this date, however -- not directly at least. While the company continues to promote the first generation RT model (now simply called Surface) for $349, there’s no longer any mention of the original Pro on the main Surface site.

It’s also worth noting that officially the discount is only available to customers in the US and Canada. However, ZDNet reports that customers in Europe can get the $100 cut in their stores.

Permalink to story.

Though at $899 without a keyboard (or $999 with) the Intel-based, full Windows 8.1 tablet is dangerously close to ultrabook territory

For what it's worth, the performance and specs on the new Surface Pro meets or beats the vast majority of ultrabooks out there right now. In reality, the Surface isn't just close to ultrabook territory, it's been tossed right into the middle of it.

Are you smoking crack ? you'd give up 500 for this turd ? first off repair-ability score IS important. no geek wants to have to send in their device for six weeks for a factory fix if they can do it them self. go read the ifixit report on these things, they are STUPID hard to fix if you drop it. second the price point, my god are you fuc*tardted microsoft ? I think you need to go look up the word bargain and bin and go to the local costco to learn the TRUE meaning of these words. you have to be kidding yourself, go find the guy who did all the customer feed back on win vista after it dropped and kept dropping along with your marketshare and find the guy who decided to actually LISTEN to what the customer wanted fixed, over 2k bug squashes in win 7 before it was release. the users FELT like they had helped CREATE the OS of their dream.

you guys are morons , when you fire sell this , if its not listed under 200$ I wont buy one , ill stay with my android tablets,

edit,

also , when you give something a make over and decide to call it something else in order to make customers think its been improved , YOU SHOULD ACTUALLY IMPROVE IT, you see some of us are sheep , some of us are sheeples, some of us are wolf in sheeps clothing , were not all stupid and you need to fire the dumb b*tch that said this would work , yes you know who im talking about she better be unemployed before you fire sell this tablet, because she is retarted thinking she can con techies. and when you do fire sell this tablet , heed my advice because we wont buy the last remaining stock at 499$ fire sale , ill laugh my butt off and keep waiting for the raven vulture price I know is coming.

your tablet is dead , and im not foolish enough to buy it at 350 or 400 or 500 150$ , I already moved it to my savings account for that faithful day you dorks get it right.

Are you smoking crack ? you'd give up 500 for this turd ? first off repair-ability score IS important. no geek wants to have to send in their device for six weeks for a factory fix if they can do it them self....[ ].....
Are you smoking crack.....? :confused: That's surely the last demographic you should examine as a potential customer for this nonsense.

Do you think an iPad has, "user serviceable components" inside? You can't even change the battery in an iPhone. They expect you to buy a newer version before it ever goes bad.

You must be really old school, (as am I), if you think "serviceability", is even in the back of 90% of today's customers minds.

The iphone battery is actually very easy to replace. Compare it to the surface pro it's actually 100000x easier to replace than it would be on the surface.

The iphone battery is actually very easy to replace. Compare it to the surface pro it's actually 100000x easier to replace than it would be on the surface.
Possible yes but it is not meant to be changed by the user, the second you open that case you void the warranty and there is a chance at damaging other parts inside. I fully support self fix on laptops and desktops but on phones and tablets I don't expect it since portability comes with a price and that is user-serviceable parts. Yes, it is nice when they make it user fixable by almost no company expects or even wants you to self-repair highly mobile devices like phones or tablets, and the fact that 99% of the users who buy them will not even know that you can open the device it is only a niche base that wants it. Most just want a device that works and lasts 2 maybe 3 years before upgrade and most devices do fit that.

I really can't justify buying a tablet for over $400. I built my gaming computer a year and a half ago and spent a fortune (3770k,gtx690,ram16gb,ssd240gb,hdd8tb[2x4tb],27"2560x1440ips). I'm happy with my old hp laptop for work on the go, and my cheap Android tablet is great for the living room.

Plus I have gone anti-proprietary software. I've switched to Linux on my gaming computer and laptop. I plan to install either Firefox OS or Ubuntu on my Android phone and tablet soon enough (I don't want Google's proprietary software loading up either).

Similarly, the new offer expires on December 31st
Wait until Jan 1st then we should see an even better offer thrown on the table.

Back