Origin's new EON15-S gaming laptops won't break the bank

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Boutique system builder Origin PC has unveiled a new laptop series that might appeal to those looking to game on the go.

The new Origin EON15-S features a modest 15.6-inch IPS matte display operating at a respectable 1,920 x 1,080 resolution. The base model includes an Intel Core i3-7100H dual-core chip clocked at 3GHz although you can bump this up to a quad-core i7-7700HQ running at 2.8GHz for an additional $128.

Origin offers multiple RAM options – from 8GB of 2133MHz memory up to 32GB of 2666MHz RAM – but just one graphics card choice in the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB. Windows 10 is standard, as is a 120GB solid state drive but as with the memory, there are plenty of local storage options to choose from including Samsung’s drool-worthy 960 Pro PCIe drive.

As for I/O ports, you’ll get a mini DisplayPort 1.2 (TrueLink, a standard mini DisplayPort 1.2, an HDMI out port with HDCP, a headphone jack, a mic jack, line-in jack, RJ-45 LAN port and a 6-in-1 card reader. The system measures 14.9 inches wide by 10.5 inches deep by 1.0 inches tall and weighs in at five pounds.

The Origin EON15-S gaming laptop starts at just $999 although as with any customizable product, it’s easy add a couple of options and skip well past that threshold. Tick every extra, for example, and you’re suddenly spending well over $5,000.

The first batch is scheduled to ship on April 24.

Permalink to story.

Nah. Not of much use to me. I game on a desktop PC on occasions and if I need a laptop, I have a four year old 15" 1080p, Asus Intel i5 job sitting around somewhere still with Win 7 just gathering dust. I'll drag it out sometime soon, upgrade it to Win 10 and give it to one of my grand kids. I'm sure they'll make better use of it than me.
When I used to use it, it was a very handy thing to have but I don't have any further need for a laptop PC these days.

I'll be more interested when laptops start appearing with Ryzen CPUs and Vega-based lower-powered GPUs (rather than the latest and greatest models).

I have a gaming laptop right now. It's nice, but I'd rather not get another one. To bulky.

I'd rather have a 14 inch laptop with a giant battery and a good APU. So basically my old lenovo l440 but with an AMD APU. A ryzen based APU with a vega based iGPU would be fantastic.

Hmmm not bad but the GPU is a disappointment. 1060 level perf too high thermal envelope atm it seems.

Back