Os Not Booting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I had a thread under MOBO's but now the MOBO is detecting my drives, the problem now is the OS is not booting. Everything is hooked up right and I just put XP on the Hard drive from another computer plus have the CD in the DVD just in case that starts to. When I F8 to get to the Boot Sequence if I select the Hard Drive to boot from or the DVD rom the cursor just sits in the left hand corner and blinks. If I just let is run buy itself I get this message:

RPL-ROM-ADR:0016 EC54 7F9C
RPL-ROM-IRQ:11

RPL-ROM-FFC:5
Reboot and select proper boot device
or intert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

Than when I press a key it does nothing else. Can anyone please help me with this....I am going crazy!!

Hi
TWIL72 said:
I just put XP on the Hard drive from another computer",

So you installed XP on another PC with a different hardware configuration and you then put it into the machine and expect it to boot...If this is the case then I should point out that XP,2K and NT has to be installed on the hardware it is going to run on, you cannot install it on another machine with different hardware then swap it over, only Win98 and WinME was capable of doing that.

RPL-ROM-ADR:0016 EC54 7F9C
RPL-ROM-IRQ:11

RPL-ROM-FFC:5

This is the BIOS looking for a Rom Boot sequence, you dont have a Rom Boot server so it then goes to,
Reboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

You see the BIOS cant find the Boot record of the HD that contains the OS, either because you have the boot order set wrong or because the OS isnt recognised due to being installed on another machine.

Some BIOS's can be set to look for the boot record of a HD at several places, these being

IDE 0, this is usually the primary master channel
IDE 1 , this is usually the primary slave channel.
IDE2 , the secondary master channel
IDE3 the seconday slave channel.

These can start at IDE1 and go upto IDE4.

So you need to make sure that the HD that contains the OS is set as a master on the first IDE channel and that the BIOS is set to look on IDE 0 or IDE1 as the first boot device.

There are BIOS boot orders that let you set the 1st 2nd 3rd boot order and you can choose IDE 1 , 2 , 3 , this way regardless of where the boot record is it will get tried by the BIOS at some point.

Hope that's clear enough for you..

Regards

Thanks for the reply but I did try a brand new Hard Drive at first and same thing. I also have tried telling it to boot from the CD to install a new copy of XP but it won't as well. The cursor just sits in the left hand corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back