TechSpot

OS Plug & Play in BIOS

By Goofy Newfie
Apr 16, 2002
  1. Where do I fing the OS Plug & Play disable option in BIOS. I looked everywhere for it, but couldn't find it.

2. boeingfixer

boeingfixer TS Rookie Posts: 1,245

What kind/brand/model motherboard do you have and what bios do you have. My bios doesn't have it.

3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,919   +9

Hmm, maybe these new motherboards won't allow disabling this..

4. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas TS Rookie Posts: 1,327

Not all motherboards have it listed. I haven't had in the past 2 motherboards I got. Wouldn't worry about it if you can't find it.

5. Goofy Newfie

Goofy Newfie TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 211

Not there...

It's not listed in my BIOS.

6. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Have you checked behind the sofa?? ;)

In any case, in my Award BIOS:

PnP/PCI Configuration Section, first option reads "PnP OS Installed?" with choice of either "Yes" or "No."

As other members have noticed, this option is not available in all BIOSes and some chipsets will turn control over Plug and Play to the operating system in all cases. In this case, you are pretty much snookered if you need to change this option.

I should image that the ACPI HAL in Windows 2000 and XP probably takes over and does pretty much whatever the hell it likes, turning control of system resources over to the software in the OS whether the BIOS says not to or not..... But its especially an issue during the hardware detection phase of Windows 2000 and XP installation where this can hang or crash if Plug and Play OS installed is not set to NO in some cases. I believe that this is an issue with the Plug and Play hardware detection conflicting with certain video adapters. Those video adapters that are integrated onto the chipset seem a particular problem.

If your BIOS DOES have this option, and you are installing Windows 2000 or XP, I recommend setting this to NO. As I said, when the installation is complete, if your machine is fully compatible with an ACPI HAL then the OS will control your resource allocation anyway, but it will revent the installation process itself from failing.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.