Our computers can't see each other on the LAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envergure

Hey guys.

My brother and I finally realized we could send files over our LAN instead of using a flash drive all the time. It worked perfectly once, and now the computers can't access each other at all.

I have: Windows XP Pro, AVG Free (antivirus)
He has: Windows 2000, Norton Antivirus
Network includes: Comtrend CT-5071 256kbit modem, D-Link DI-604 Ethernet Broadband Router

Any suggestions are appreciated.

You have an error of some kind in My Network Places. There is a very good trouble shooter, and help guide there... which you might want to try before you get too far afield.

Can you ping each other?

Disable Norton firstly, or configure it ... for this test just disable it.
Browse from one PC to another via UNC path (\\ipaddressofpc\)

Provided you are sharing a folder, this should open up a folder containing all shares of the PC. If you get prompted for a username/password make sure you create a local admin account on each PC that have exactly the same username/password. If you get an error saying path cannot be found, make sure all firewalls are disabled on both PC's and try again.

This is a basic way to access files from other PC's. If this works, reserve the PC's IP addresses and map a network drive between the 2 PC's.

Good luck and post back if you get stuck :grinthumb

Yeah, I can ping him. And now they can see each other now, which is odd as I haven't really done anything yet (but I'm not complaining). All firewalls and antiviruses are still up. If I figure out what was going on I'll post back.

Shutdown all PCs on the network next time that happens. Unplug the router power then turn it back on. Turn on 1 PC at a time.. Router could have incountered something and it cut off the network. It can happen..

Envergure said:
Yeah, I can ping him. And now they can see each other now, which is odd as I haven't really done anything yet (but I'm not complaining). All firewalls and antiviruses are still up. If I figure out what was going on I'll post back.

Don't know if this helps but we had a similar issue with transferring files and we got a program called network magic www.networkmagic.com it came in really handy for us

Network Magic is decent software, but over priced when they bill you after the 30 day free period.

LANState is more professional than Network Magic.. Although it's more for network monitoring management.

Business/Home Network
lanstate_shot.png

or

Home Network
network-map-backgr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back