our network has no master browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwr_1986

Yesterday our company network (file sharing) went down. We have been trying to find the problem since then and have gotten to the point of checking each computer to see which one is the master browser. The problem seems to be that none of them are. Any thoughts on a corrective action to get the master browser election process going again would be great, thanks.

Jesse

Thanks for the link but I think I've tried what it has suggested. Almost all of our company's computers have rebooted at some point in the course of the last day and they are a mix of 98 special and xp home and pro. Yet when I go around checking there still seems to be no master browser. Thanks again.

Jesse

correction, I was using Fire Fox and it didn't display the site right. When I viewed it from work I realized that there was a lot more there. Thanks

Jesse

Net View Error 6118

I ran net view and it returned the error 6118. Hope this helps make solving the problem a bit easier. Thanks again.

Jesse

Do you have a DC?

If so you should shut down your servers, bring up the DC, then bring up the other servers. If you have any BDC's bring those up just after the DC.

HoopaJoop said:
Do you have a DC?

If so you should shut down your servers, bring up the DC, then bring up the other servers. If you have any BDC's bring those up just after the DC.
I'm sorry but what is a DC and a BDC? I'm new to this but I'm trying to learn. Thanks for your help.

Jesse

A DC is a Domain Controller. In NT4 a BDC is a Backup Domain controller. BDC's are used for some fault tolerance and load balancing.

In a Windows 2000/2003 Active Directory domain, there is no BDC really. DC's aren't hierarchical in Active Directory domains. While some DC's have roles that other's do not, they are all on the same level.

If you have a DC, all servers should be taken down and the DC brought up first, followed by any other DC's or BDC's. Then bring up any additional servers.

Thanks for the assistance. The problem was related to a faulty RJ-45 plug that we belive was causing a short. The situation has been resolved and has not reoccured since then. Once again thanks for the assistance.

Jesse

I regret to inform the group that the problem has returned. I am going to check everyones connections tonight to rule that out. I have a bad feeling it won't be so simple this time. If anyone has anymore thoughts please come to my rescue.

Thanks
Jesse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back