out in the boondocks, what's faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do happen to live out in the middle of nowhere and my satellite speed is rediculously slow. I've have many techs out here and they just say it's slow. So, today I called the phone company and found out that I am now available for dsl. (Wasn't before now) So what's my better option? Is a DSL connection faster than, say dial-up, or a slow sattelite. Also, can I use both, because our macs are wireless set up through my dell which is the main connection to the satellite. Can anyone help? This is just not my area...
Thank you

it depends how far you are form the phone switching station, as i know the father you are tthe slower it will be

you can do some camparing yourself and yo u can see whtich is faster

ask about their speeds

top end of dial-up is ~56kb. DSL gets ~756kb or easily 10x dial-up.
You care the most about the download speed, as that's 99% of what
you'll be doing. email is a small portion of a normal users bandwidth and
unless you have a web server, the upload speed is of little consequence.

out in the boondocks which is faster

They haven't run cable out to our area yet, and according to them, they probably won't. I have satellite, extremely slow, dial up - impossible, and dsl is offered so my question really is, am I better with dsl, since I don't really know what it is, or stick with my steam powered satellite?

You are better off with DSL if your sat is as slow as you imply. Google for some bandwidth testers (websites) and if your down speed is less than say 768 you will be better off with DSL. What speed can you get for DSL? Ask the phone people what speeds are avaiable, I bet 1.5Mbps is what you can get down, and maybe something like 256 or 384kbps up.

There is no reason you can't have your Dell and your home network set up to share the connection like you are now.

Even horrible, terrible, awful, poor, cruddy DSL is going to be better than 56k.

I'd argue such DSL service would be better than satellite too. I've seen a number of satellite setups and they've all been disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back