TechSpot

Out of range error when using Radeon X1300

By Carine
May 22, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have been trying to replace my intagrated video with a Radeon X1300 but I keep getting the "out of range" error. It can happen at any time, when Im in BIOS, on safe mode and on the regular mode a couple of seconds after windows is already running. Once I get the error theres nothing I can do to make it go away except for turning off the computer. Also when Im starting the computer the monitor blinks for a few seconds. I never had any dispaly problems when using my integrated video or the same monitor with an older computer.

I tried running with another monitor (an old CTR one) but its the same thing. Im pretty sure that it is not a resolution issue since I tried all of them and always got the error. I read somewhere that it could aslo be a frecuency error but Im not sure of how to deal with that.

Im guessing that is a connection issue but Im not sure. Right now Im using a DVI-VGA adapter that doesn't seem to have a very stable connection. I also have a problem with video card not fitting on my chasis since the chasis itself is too small. The video card seems to fit just fine in the PCI-Express x16 slot and get all the power it needs so I dont think thats the problem but I can be 100% sure about that. I alsoremoved the drivers from the intagrated video (nvidia) but not sure I did it right.

Anyways Im really out of ideas and not sure where the problem could be. I would greatly appreciate any help.
    Thanks

My specs:
    Dell C521
    AMD athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ 2.3Ghz.
    2Gb Ram
    Windows Vista Home Premium (32bits).
    Viewsonic LCD monitor
    Intagrated Video (trying to replace it with a Radeon X1300 256mb PCI express)
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Most likely, the problem is with your monitor... You are not using a monitor which is the equal to the video graphics card... or your display settings are incorrect. Play with the settings, until you get something working.
  3. Carine

Carine TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well I have tried different setttings and all with the same result, is there anything specific I should check?
    is there a problem if I try to install a full sized video card on a low profile case other than not being able to close the case?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.