Outlast 2 banned in Australia over scenes of sexual violence

midian182

Staff member

Fans of horror games are eagerly awaiting the release of Outlast 2, the sequel to the gory, jump scare-laden Red Barrels title from 2013. But it seems Australian residents may not find out if it lives up to the original, as the game has been banned in the country.

Outlast 2 has been denied classification by the Australian Classification board. It joins the likes of Hotline Miami 2 and Syndicate on the list of games that are banned in the country.

The demo, which was released in September 2016, was given the highest R18+ rating by the board for its violence, gore, strong themes, moderate language, and mild nudity. But Outlast 2 was judged too extreme to be given a rating.

Kotaku Australia notes the ban was mostly due to the depiction of implied sexual violence. It’s strongly suggested that the scenes themselves are hallucinations by the main character, Blake. And while much of what happens is obscured, it’s the implication of sexual assault against Blake by a humanoid creature that the board objects to. They do note, however, that the scenes were not "an exhaustive list of the content that caused" the ban.

Outlast 2 could still launch in Australia, providing its developer and publisher are willing to edit out the offending scenes. The classification board said "without the depiction of implied sexual violence listed above," it would be eligible for an R18+ rating. Games such as South Park: The Stick of Truth and State of Decay were initially refused classification in Australia, but their edited versions were granted the R18+ rating.

Permalink to story.

Should be sufficient to label it with some big words and leave it at that... "appalling" & "abominable" flash to mind. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

While I found Outlast to be a subpar, I don't think they should edit their content just to fit Australias draconian censorship system. You mentioned South Park, but it is important to keep in mind that they edited their game in such a way as to mock and belittle Australia for it.

So violence like being attacked, thrown off balconies, being strapped to a chair and having your fingers cut off, a guy setting himself on fire to kill himself and other ways to die are fine but implied sexual violence that is probably a hallucination is too much, I don't get Australia.

Ill never get over people supporting a system that tells them that theyre not allowed to, as adults, consume content of their own free will, that presents no immediate danger to anyone but the person in question.

It just seems no better than book burnings through history and the like.
Except this is all virtual, so your example has no merits.

In itself, no government entity should be allowed to classify any sort of label on virtual products, PERIOD

Does Australia have a ban on violent video games "in general" or a completely asinine discrimination towards only violence of a sexual nature? Because priorities. If it's the former, then this is not really newsworthy.

It's just banned officially... in today's world and internet speed, banning seems to be less and less effective...

Back