Outlook e-mail account receiving but not sending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom_oftheplains

Hey, folks. I'm new to the site and came here because I can't seem to find any answers elsewhere online.

I'm a Network Administrator for a medium-sized company, and one of my people, while using MS Outlook, is able to receive new messages but not send them.

When she types up a new message, it goes into the Sent Messages folder, there's nothing in the Outbox, and nothing on the server. For all intents and purposes, the message was sent. But it never arrives.

Anyone else have this problem/have advice? We're running on a 2003 MS Exchange server. Thanks tons!

- T

hi with regards to outlook email account recieving not sending

DUDE!!!

reinstall the settings man!!!!! ehehehe... try to remove the old account then add it again!!! there are currently some issues when it comes to pop3 plus if you are using windows vista but it depends on what you really use....

The usual causes of email not being sent -:

1.An add-in that marks items read if you view the Outbox.(Tools, Options, Other, Advanced, Com add-ins)

2.Not authenticating properly with the mail server.

3.No default email account set.

4.Using a program that access the pst or ost data, such as MSN Desktop Search.

5.An antispam or antivirus scanner is scanning outgoing mail.

Details HERE and HERE

Thanks for your responses. I followed up on your suggestions, but it's still not sending. Receiving just fine, but every time I send a new e-mail, it's as if nothing happened.

The server/user relationship is working fine. The default e-mail account is in place. We're not using a third party anti-spam anything that could be getting in the way.

Still stumped.

Configure Account

Is Outlook pointing to the exchange server? Are you able to receive emails from the exchange server or just from external sources through POP or IMAP? If you go into Outlook and Configure the email accounts are they pointing to the exchange server, example, 'exchangesvr.domainname.com' ? Can you post some screen shots of the email accounts configuration windows so that we are better able to assess the situation. Thanks.

The account is set up to send/receive from the exchange server. I can't post screen shots; sorry.

I've implemented all of my tricks of the trade, and some that were posted here. The account is still receiving all mail from external and internal sources; it's just not sending anything and the outbox is always empty.

The only way this user can send mail is by logging in to an external site and sending mail that way.

I have run into a similar problem but not identical. I had an Outlook install that that could not send email to external addresses nor internal. I just reinstalled Outlook, or if you have the entire Office Suite installed try using the Office CD to repair the installation of Office. If that doesn't work, blow the whole Office Suite away and reinstall.

Do you have Outlook Web Access configured for this user in your Exchange server ?

I would set it up for him/her so it would help as both, a way to give an alternate avenue to his/her daily operation, and also to further provide insight into what the real problem is; for instance, if you find that while using Outlook Web Access the user can send messages normally then you will know that the problem lies in the specific configuration on the client machine.

The problem is interesting.

Yeah, we do. The plot thickens: turns out that all of the e-mails she's been sending out that never went anywhere... well, the failure to deliver notifications ended up in another user's inbox. Weird stuff.

tom_oftheplains said:
Yeah, we do. The plot thickens: turns out that all of the e-mails she's been sending out that never went anywhere... well, the failure to deliver notifications ended up in another user's inbox. Weird stuff.
The profiles of the two users are contaminated -- likely on the server side.
KEEP the profile of the user who received the bous failure messages and
delete and recreate the user who has the Outlook problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back