Outlook Express cannot find Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garybeafl

When I go to read mail or delete mail in Outlook Express I get the message "cannot find server" this happens both with Hotmail and with Verozon mail.

I am using XP Home SP2 on a home built computer that has been working good for over a year. I am using Verizon DSL and I called them and they cant fix it and told me to call Microsoft. My wife is also using a home built comptuer and her OE is working fine. they are connected together with a Linksys wired router.

Unlike normal ISP's where the mail is downloaded via a pop server to the computer, Hotmail relies on a connection to the hotmail server, much like a webpage requires an internet connection to be viewed.

Check all your settings against those of the other laptop and see if there are any differences in settings, also check that OE has permissions to go through the firewall, as a last attempt try removing and reinstalling the settings for the connections and see if that works.

Regards

pop3 vs weg-based email

saying another way;

there are TWO flavors of email;
1) the pop3 email client (like Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, ...)
2) and Web-base email, like Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo

for (2), you don't use a program like (1) but only your browser on port 80.

for (1) ports 25 [ for sending] and port 110 [ for reading ] are used

Clearly then, Pop3-Client email is very different than Web-based email :)

I have seen POP3 settings for GMail and Hotmail in the past, and the ports are different from standard (25, 110).

Check the working session's settings and mimic accrodingly.

yes, there is a means to do this, but it's not the default settings and one
should not assume that all email servers are accessed bu OE.

My Outlook Express cannot find the server for either Hotmail or Verizon.
My wifes computer is sitting 4 ft away from mine and has everything identical as mine and hers is working fine. The two are connected together with a Linksys wired router. She has the same firewall and anti- viris. Both Hotmail and Verizon work fine from the websites they just don't work using Outlook Express because it cannot find the servers.

After working on this for three days I found out it was a new firewall I had installed called Comodo. Thanks for the reply's.
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back