Outlook Express problems

I want to share my experience with problems offer appearing using the OutLook Express mail program.
The "default" folders "Inbox", "Sent items" and "Out box" they get often corrupted.
Recently my messages in "Outbox" trying to send were not moved from the "Outbox" to the "Sent items" folder. These messages were actually sent again and again by OE, without me to know if they were sent or not. After reading a lot of forums and articles, I decided to do the following.
After I copied all messages of these folders to other "user made" folders, I closed the OE.
I located these "default" folders with Windows Explorer and I deleted them.
When opening again the OE, these "default" folders "Inbox", "Sent items" and "Out box" are automatically regenerated and have them now fresh and uncorrupted.
Do this from time to time and your OE is always in good shape.
Alex GR

Outlook Express is no longer support and there are other 3rd party client email programs, eg Thunderbird which even looks similar :)

Its true Microsoft has ended support for Windows XP. Recently your problem has been resolved but to make your Outlook Express works fine or always in good condition it would be better to repair your Outlook Express. Usually such kind of conditions appears when DBX file got corrupt. So, it is recommended to take backup at regular intervals so that you don’t have to face any king of email data loss.

All of the following start from
  • XP: %user% is \Documents and Settings\UserLoginName\
  • Win7: %user% is \user\UserLoginName\
For OE, the files are located under

%user%\Local Settings\​
  • Outlook Express Application Data\Identities\...\Microsoft\ Outlook Express\*
Typically, Local Settings and Application Data are hidden directories, so you need alter your viewing preferences to get access to these locations. Once you can view the subdirs, you can use whatever backup technique you prefer.

Back