Outlook Express Recover mail rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

ok4life

OS = 2000 pro
user name is res which is on a 2003 server w/ AD

This workstation all of a sudden created a new home folder with all default settings. Folder name created was res.domain with the old folder res still existing. I checked the users on the local machine nobody has added any local users or anything. Just the domain users and local guest/administrator accounts.
I don't know why it did this but it did.

My question how could I restore the outlook express mail rules without loging in to get to the hkey_current_user key in the registry. There was alot of rules setup on the workstation.

I will be diggin more in the reg tomorrow to see if I can find anything.

Thanks for any help in advance
If I figure it out I will post back tomorrow.

Well I tested here and I should be able to do it by going through hkey_users and finding the Identity string that was under my old user directory then export that to a reg file. Edit the identity string to match the current Identity and to go to the right location of the registry (hkey_current_user) and then reimport it to the registry. I believe this will bring it back as long as it is in the registry there yet.

I will update in the morning.

Well it wasn't in the registry probly why it created a new user account. But I fixed.
What I did.

I opened regedt32.exe and then selected open hive I opened the ntuser.dat under the original home folder in ther eI was able to export the mail rules under the old identity string. Then I used notepad to edit the exported reg file. and used replace to find the old string and replace it with the new Identity. Then reimported it into the registry.

NOTE:
This is not a full how to you need to know how to work with the registry and what keys you need to export and reimport this is easily found by searching google.com. I may write a full how to on it but I wouldn't hold a breath if you want one written message me and I may squeeze the time in.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back