Outlook express/seagate autobackup conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

chewzall

I have recently added a Seagate FreeAgent 320gb ext hard drive to my Win2000 machine and appear to be having some sort of conflict between the software that comes with the drive and the software that is currently on my machine.

Each time the Seagate autobackup runs, my Outlook Express experiences errors requiring me to run skandisk before I can view emails. I have on 2 occasions lost my inbox and had to restore from a backup copy to view previous emails. The remainder of the folders rearrange themselves (subfolders become main folders) but mails remain in them.

The drive is also intermittently unplugging itself--I am not removing it from the system, yet I am receiving an error message stating that a device has been improperly removed and the computer is reinstalling/repairing the Seagate software on reboot.

I am running NAV2006 also; as this seems to delight in causing conflicts between software perhaps this is part of the problem.

Are there known conflicts between the Seagate software and OE or NAV? The Seagate drive is supposedly compatible w/ Win2000. Anyone know of any fixes?

Thanks,

Chewzall

How do I schedule the backup so it doesn't run automatically? This program starts as soon as I boot up, and I'd just as soon it did not, but there's no associated scheduler for it.

OK, ran msconfig and got it out of the system tray. Will try using the task scheduler and schedule to run at a time I do nothing else and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back