Outlook express starts very very slow ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a compaq presario running Windows 98 with IE 6 and OE 6.0. I have a cable modem hooked up. When I surf the net it is not too slow but it surely is not instantaneous. When I click on OE it hangs for minutes before it gets the mail. I see a blue screen like it is trying to launch outlook express but the launching is taking minutes.

My machine has 64 meg a RAM which is within the minimum requirements for IE. Any suggestions or comments.

Does any of your instant messanger programs boot up after you load IE? I was having lag problems with this as well. For me, I was able to solve it, though I know not if your situation is the same.

There's some sort of option where IE offers to automatically start your default instant messenger program when IE starts and you could clear that, plus make sure your current IM program (whatever it is) is unticked as being the default.

That's how I solved mine. Not sure if this will help you, but its worth a shot, right?

When did you last clean up your HD?
Empty the recycle bin.
Rightclick the IE-icon on the desktop and select Properties. Hit Delete Files and Delete Cookies and Clear History (set this to no more than 3 days).
Using Explorer, go to your Temp directory and clean out what you can.
The run a Scandisk /f to check for broken files etc. and run a full defrag overnight.

Last but not least, if you can afford it, buy at least another 64MB memory.

On your OE go to the tools drop down list then click on options. In Options there is a Connection tab. In the Connection tab will be a check box that gives you that option to Hang up after sending and recieving. You want to make sure that this box is "NOT" checked, because it will hang you up as soon as you try and do anything.

Hope this helps you!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back