Outlook Express won't work

By Rhinoceros
Apr 22, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have Windows XP. I recently downloaded several updates, that the system told me were needed. I am not sure what they all were. After restarting the computer, I saw that it had loaded Outlook 2003 email system. I had been using Outlook Express. I was able to make OE the default system again. And I can receive emails on OE. But I cannot open them, cannot open (create) a new mail message, and cannot send messages. When I try to open an email, I first get a message saying that OE may need to be reloaded. I then get an error message saying it cannot open the email.
    I prefer to use OE, rather than the cluttered Outlook.
    Any suggestions on how to get OE to work again?

fgsltw7777777@yahoo.com
  2. Peddant

Peddant Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,644

"What it ended up being was a problem with one of Microsoft's security patches that I
    downloaded and installed. After a lot of struggling yesterday and visits to
    Microsoft's website (which I find very user unfriendly) I got to thinking about it
    this morning and figured I'd try removing the last bunch I put in and
    "viola", my Outlook Express works like a charm as it did before.

The culprit was security patch KB911567 that caused a problem here.From - HERE
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.