Outlook XP - Not saving Sent Mail Items

Status
Not open for further replies.
'lo all

My outlook XP is not saving the sent mail items, even though I have ticked the appropriate boxes in the Options/Advanced Options to 'Save Sent Mail'.

Can anyone advise what I may be missing?

Your assistance is most appreciated.

Thank you
Dil

I have the same thing happening!

I have noticed during the past month or two that when I create an email using a "mailto" link on a web page, that Outlook Express will NOT put the email in my "sent" folder. All other emails that I create in Outlook are saved. This is very frustrating! Can anyone tell me what is wrong? I'm using Windows XP.

That doesn't make any sense to me, because you are using Outlook to send the email, unless there is some sort of flag that the web programmer has put in there to not allow to save to your Sent Items folder. But if it is happening on all sites, then it's something different cause I"m sure all aren't programmed that way. One simple solution, is to copy the email address filled in by the web page and create a new email and paste it in there. Not a fix, but a temporary work around.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

mailto emails

That's the workaround I've been using if I really need my outgoing email saved. I've tried a number of web pages and sent test emails by changing the "to" address, and it never saves the emails! Maybe I need to re-install Outlook. I was just hoping that enough other people had this problem that someone could explain what's happening. I've tried unchecking and re-checking "save outgoing emails" but it doesn't help.

I have the same problem. From last nite I dont have a copy of my messages going into my send. I unchecked the box in the options menu and rechecked again after exciting and starting again but its still the same. There is not connection with the problem and the email accounts as it does it to all my email accounts. Its seems to be bug of some kind.

Back again. Solved the problem. Theres a 2Gig limit on the sent folder. I just created a new folder called sentbackup (call it whatever) and moved all the msg's to the new folder and now its all working again. Hope this helps someone else. Cheers

I have tried deleting my outlook express outbox and sent mail but it won't help. When I save my sent mail it sends out 20 copies of the email and never moves it from "outgoing mail" to "sent mail". When I uncheck the box to save sent mail, at least it sends out the email only once but I can't figure out how to fix this. Does anyone know?

genkidave said:
Back again. Solved the problem. Theres a 2Gig limit on the sent folder. I just created a new folder called sentbackup (call it whatever) and moved all the msg's to the new folder and now its all working again. Hope this helps someone else. Cheers

Thanks for this, I deleted a load of big files reducing the limit and guess what it worked. I now have the sent messages appearing in the sent box. Thanks a bunch you saved a big headache.

I have managed to get my sent Items,

Just create a folder in outlook, Right click Sent Items..Advanced find. under messages put the option of sent from as the user and Time put sent. Proceed to find and this will display all the items. Copy all the items to the folder you created.

At least it sorted my immediate problem

:)-

Somehow people forget all about the Send File and treat it as an infinite buck for
storing old correspondence.

Systems have limits and that includes FILE SIZE. Sadly, a great many email programs
store messages in one file per email folder, eg the Inbox is one file, Sent folder is one file.
This clearly leads to a day in which the I/O to the Sent file will fail.
The only solution for this condition is to Archive Sent messages and or to delete
messages, say all messages from last year.

Outlook has a feature to Archive.

While discussing Email, Files and Systems, I might note that when you delete an
email message from the Inbox, it does not actually get physically delete but ONLY MARKED for deletion.
The Inbox remains the same size and it too will fill up. To actually delete email requires that the Inbox be COMPRESSED :)
In Outlook, this takes place with the archive and each fold (Inbox, Sent, Calendar, ...)
can have it's own archive criteria and schedule

I experienced the same problem - Outlook 2003 was automatically deleting messages from my Sent Items folder. After searching the web for possible fixes, (and trying them) - I ended up using the Inbox Repair Tool located on the Microsoft website [I am unable to post a link, as I am a newbie], and so far my problem seems to be fixed. Good luck, E.

another possibility

I also thought my sent mail was not being saced. Turns out the system date somehow got set back one month. Sent mail was being saved but under the sysdate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back