TechSpot

Outlook

By NV30
Mar 21, 2003
  1. I don't know what the problem with it is, it just starts, shows the interface for half a second that closes. Any ideas?

2. NV30

NV30 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 339

Hmm, uninstalled Office 2000 and reinstalled, works just fine now. Great reinstall program kept all of the settings and email as well. :) Guess it might have been the service pack for Office, any ideas?

3. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Maniac Posts: 537   +12

I had problems with my Office XP just like that, I found that it was because in XP Pro you can only use Windows Messenger and not MSN Messenger which is what I had installed. So it could be something to do with your messenger service, if not, I am all out of ideas.

4. NV30

Hmm, OK thanks. I think I'll stay without the SP, MSN Messenger is version 5, and Windows Messenger is version 4.7, correct?

5. negroplasty

I believe so. When I uninstalled MSN Messenger, it did not fix the problem, as there were still registry entries for msmsgs. So I did a search and removed them and it fixed the problem. So did you have either of the messenger services installed?
    BTW, I don't think the SP will have anything to do with it, as I have all updates for my Office software installed and encounter no problems.

6. NV30

I have both. I'll try uninstalling MSN, and removing those reg entries like you said. I did like 5.0 though, seemed to make file transfers for people behind firewalls (like me) work.

7. NV30

Well, I keep getting Error 1328: Error applying patch to file C:\Config.Msi\PT2DC.tmp. This happened before, and I think that it's the problem with it. So I stopped the SP1 install and it still works fine without it. Although I'd like the SP.

8. negroplasty

There is an add in for Windows Messenger that makes it more like MSN Messenger 5; download it here .

9. NV30

OK, but I still have the Error 1328 problem.

10. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,928

Error 1328: Error applying patch to file C:\Config.Msi\PT2DC.tmp

Take a look here ...
    Office 2000 - Error 1328

The error can also occur if the file has already been updated by other means, and therefore no longer the file version expected.

Installer Errors

11. NV30

Thanks a lot Nic, I'll give them a try.

12. negroplasty

Interesting, I didn't see that; now that you mention it, I can't really remember getting such an error message. I can't think of anything at the moment, your best bet would be to contact Microsoft Knowledgebase, unless anyone else has any ideas?

13. negroplasty

My apologies, while I was posting it seems Nic has found the solution to your problem. I would have deleted my last post, but for some unknown reason, I cannot access the edit page :( . If a mod would be willing to delete that for me, it would be greatly appreciated. I am referring to the post in which I give a link to MS Knowledgebase, Thanks.

14. NV30

Hmm, looking up MSs info, it seems that because I have a non-legit copy (I know, shame on me) it will exhibit that behaviour automatically. So thanks for all the ideas.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.