Outside PC want to share a printer behind a linksys router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Now I am setting up a printer sharing for my network. I like to share the printer which is connected to a PC behind a linksys cable/dsl router. The router is connected to WAN. Then, I like to print from a PC that is also connected to WAN. I can share the printer when I connected its PC to WAN directly (mean no router between PC and connection jack). But, when I put it behind the router, the printer-PC can't be identified (searched).

I also set the router's DMZ feature with the IP address of the printer-PC to have router allow inbound connection to the printer-PC. But when I type in the internet IP address of the router (not the local ip 192.168.1.1) in the web browser of the other PC that needs printer sharing, this inbound connection is not forwarded to the printer-PC.

Can anyone of you please give me suggestion on router configuration? Thanks..

FIrst, printer sharing has nothing to do with web pages, so trying to access the server computer with a web browser is useless. Well, unless you have activated a webserver there or you are using some special print server software that has a web page.

Assuming that you are using Windows file and printer sharing, then exposing this to the internet is a bad, bad, bad idea.

Setting up a print server with a JetDirect service is slightly better. The right way to do it is a VPN solution or some kind of secure tunneling using SSH or something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back