TechSpot

Over-clocking idea for my Sapphire Radeon 9600?

By astoriaandme
May 14, 2006
  1. I recently bought a motherboard with an AGP slot to put an old 9600 to good use. And I was able to overclock my GPU to 355Mhz, and my Mem. clock to 200Mhz. The thing is, the version of my video card does not have a fan on it, only heatsink, so I am planning on getting a fan for it. I want one that costs less than $30 bucks and will allow me to over-clock as much as I possibly can.

PS. Noise in NOT a problem what-so-ever. I'm all about performance.

-Conor

2. KingCody

KingCody TS Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

i have a similar card. ATI radeon 9600SE with no fan.

I used a small fan from an old PentiumII heatsink and it worked great. I just used a couple sheet metal screws and screwed the fan right into the video card heatsink.

If you've got any old heatsink/fans from an older setup (as many of us do), then it should work fine.

3. astoriaandme

astoriaandme TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sounds like a good idea, but did it allows you to overclock a lot?

4. KingCody

KingCody TS Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

to be honest, I never tried to overclock it. I just didn't like the idea of a passive cooler on my GPU.

Any fan on a passive heat sink will work good to cool it down. what's more important is that you have good air flow to the heatsink/fan itself so it doesn't just blow it's own hot air back into itself. I don't think that heat will be the major limiting factor in the overclock anyways.

You get what you pay for with cheaper cards like that I guess (although mine has served me well for 3 years now and counting). I am waiting for the DX10 cards to come out before I upgrade.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.