Over-clocking idea for my Sapphire Radeon 9600?

Status
Not open for further replies.

astoriaandme

I recently bought a motherboard with an AGP slot to put an old 9600 to good use. And I was able to overclock my GPU to 355Mhz, and my Mem. clock to 200Mhz. The thing is, the version of my video card does not have a fan on it, only heatsink, so I am planning on getting a fan for it. I want one that costs less than $30 bucks and will allow me to over-clock as much as I possibly can.

PS. Noise in NOT a problem what-so-ever. I'm all about performance.

-Conor

i have a similar card. ATI radeon 9600SE with no fan.

I used a small fan from an old PentiumII heatsink and it worked great. I just used a couple sheet metal screws and screwed the fan right into the video card heatsink.

If you've got any old heatsink/fans from an older setup (as many of us do), then it should work fine.

to be honest, I never tried to overclock it. I just didn't like the idea of a passive cooler on my GPU.

Any fan on a passive heat sink will work good to cool it down. what's more important is that you have good air flow to the heatsink/fan itself so it doesn't just blow it's own hot air back into itself. I don't think that heat will be the major limiting factor in the overclock anyways.

You get what you pay for with cheaper cards like that I guess (although mine has served me well for 3 years now and counting). I am waiting for the DX10 cards to come out before I upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back