Over heating

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer keeps crashing, I am fairly confident it is overheating. I have a AMD Athlon XP2100 1.7g chip. I have put a larger heat sink and cpu fan on it and that helped. Later I put a 120mm fan on the case blowing in on the cpu fan and one on the top of the case as an exhaust. My office is fairly cool all the time and the thing sits on the floor. All this has helped but it will still crash periodically. This moring it was getting a bit chilly working at my computer so I put a small heater under my desk 30 seconds later my computer crashed. I fired it up after crashing and as it was coming back up I heard a thunder crash from my speakers (where that came from I have no idea) and it crashed again. I removed the heater and it seems to run fine now. I always clean the dust from inside the case and the heat sink so I know it's not that either. Any ideas here? Should I just buy a new chip? What chips would direclty plug in to this mother board? Asus A7V333.

Thanks

First check your temps using the speedfan programme from HERE

If as seems likely it is your cpu that is overheating. Take off the heatsink, and clean off the old thermal paste/pad. Apply some new themal paste, and reattach the heatsink.

See HERE for instructions on how to apply thermal paste.

Regards Howard :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back