Overclock..eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyleman

I know what overclockin is and stuff...but how do you do it? Is there like a program or codes or what?

It's normally done using the BIOS Setup utility, where u increase the CPU's multiplier to bring up the frequency. Too high a multiplier might cause the CPU to overheat, so a bit of research and caution can go a long way in preventing this.

i dont mind if i fry it..its one of the pentium 2's... plus ive just got a couple more fans for the system... where do u get into the BIOS setup facility?

those older systems don't overclock the same way they do now. i doubt the bios will have a hardware monitor that measures the CPU temp. not all pII systems can be overclocked without modification. what make and model is the machine?

if you got an older pentium 2, by one of those big companys(hp, ibm, dell,...) they usually don't put a motherboard in'em that will OC cuz it will void the warrentry.

Some Pentium 2s (or mine at least) overclock really far... it's just that they burn out. I ran my stock P2 400MHz at 1439Mhz for like 9 minutes... It booted into windows and ran CPU-Z for a bit but that's it... I recommend not overclocking them as far as mine because the temperature of mine got up to like 145C with a full window fan blowing on it. Of course it didn't last long at that temp :)

But yea, you can't really overclock without an aftermarket motherboard. It needs to have a BIOS that allows overclocking.

Same thing, go to your BIOS

If you really want to overclock so much you'll need a good CPU ( like Duo Core from Intel or something ) and a mobo that is OCable ( Overclockable just incase you're wondering :D )

Most Mobos coming out these days are OCable because alot of people are wanting to make their machines run alot faster and stuff but dont Overclock too much because your system will :hotbounce then :hotouch: then i'll be :cool: with all the ladies

as i said earlier..where and what is the BIOS? My engine clock and the other one are running under reccomendation for my mobo.
It is OC capable..

You can get to the BIOS by pressing either

esc
shift
f1
f10
f8
del

key durring the verry first screen when the computer powers on. Check the manuel. the list above are the ones I have used before. Yours could be diffrent.

--Daniel L

TimeParadoX said:
Oh he didnt know how to get into BIOS :haha:

Thanks daniel for telling him how to enter it ;)

Not all people are all-knowing about computers, I remember a time when I thought that a Celeron D was a good processor :blush: ! Thank God for this website and my ever growing fascination with computers!

Lol shutup :p
Im 13..
Well I got into it then into Advanced BIOS...I saw nothing that said overclock or multiply :p
Here is my everest report for the overclock section..

Also sorry for the double post..but here is the procceses from the task manager...ive been told that I have to many. What ones can I get rid off?

Attachments

• Report.txt
    27.4 KB · Views: 5
  • task1.JPG
    task1.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 7
  • task2.JPG
    task2.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 6
that processor runs a bit hot, but you should be able to push it a bit on stock cooling. the i865 chipset rocks. you'll probably have to look under chipset configuration in the bios.

i've seen systems with over 55 processes running, all of them with legitimate purpose. if you're concerned, i reccomend running lavasoft ad-aware SE personal (www.lavasoftusa.com) to check for spyware, that is unless you already have a functioning spyware protection program.

Hi kyleman,

normally, I don't like to discourage anybody from overclocking, but if you don't know what a BIOS is (and that's ok), then you're not ready for overclocking. in other words, you have to learn how to walk before you can run. If you don't fully know what you're doing, or you don't know your limits then you can easily destroy your computer by overclocking it.

my advice is to do some research. specifically look for and familiarize yourself the following terms:
  • BIOS
  • CMOS
  • CPU multiplier
  • FSB (front side BUS)
  • RAM Divider (or ratio)
  • memory timings
  • VCORE
  • VDIMM
  • PCI/AGP frequency
  • PCI/AGP lock
once you know what they all mean/do and how they effect each other, and you think you're ready to start overclocking... try to answer the following simple questions:
  1. if you increase your FSB by 50MHz but leave you RAM:FSB ratio at 1:1, why won't your computer boot up or even allow you to enter the BIOS?
  2. how do you fix it so that you can re-enter your BIOS again?
  3. why can't I increase the multiplier?
once you are able to answer those questions, then you're ready to overclock, good luck :D

cheers :wave:

sorry..i dont think i will overclock this computer..
but one more question..
One the pentium 2 i am building. I am going to put in a geocube radeon 6550 :)
Umm well anyway its a typical pentium 2 with the big cpu that sticks out :p.
Would i be able to get a better cpu on it?
Im not sure if you can put new cpus on an old mobo..
Can you?

to know what processors you can support, we need to know the motherboard's brand and model. some slot 1 motehrboards support the first-generation SEC PIII's (katami)

K. i cant find out what model or anything yet because i still need to buy a power supply :p
I got no $ whatsoevfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back