Overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.

conman

Hey Guys,

Got an Intel Pentium 4, 2.8Ghz Dual Core Processor and was wondering can this be overclocked?
In the bios its currently running 200x14 and if I CAN clock it up, what would be the most it can be pushed too?

Cheers

CONMAN:)

Well, the answer is yes :) You certainly can overclock your cpu.

As to how far, that is not something anyone can really answer. First, every CPU is different. One P4 2.8Ghz will overclock well, and another will not. There is no way to predict until after you try.

There are however a number of things you can do to increase your chances of achieving better overclocks. One of the most important pieces of hardware for overclocking is your ram. When you O/C your cpu, it also O/Cs your ram (unless you use a ram divider). You motherboard's overclocking ability is also a major factor. Some motherboards are better at it than others. And finally, cooling. The enemy of overclocking is heat. When you OC the cpu, it will get a LOT hotter, and in most cases, stock cooling just isn't enough. You will likely need to invest in a good 3rd party heatsink/fan to keep your temps down.

Here's a fairly well written how-to guide for you:
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/1567-intel-overclocking-guide.html

Ok mate, I took it up from 2.80Ghz to 3.21Ghz.

Bios setting was 200Mhz (Normal) and Vcore was 1.3705v (Normal)
Its now 229Mhz and Vcore is 1.3875v

There is a real difference in speed and I'm well pleased. Was just wondering, I have a setting in the Bios called "MB Intelligent Tweaker" and wondered if I need to change anything in this setting?
Also I read that I can take the Vcove up to at least 1.7v so does this mean I can bring the Mhz well above the 229Mhz I am currently sitting at?

CONMAN:)

It does mean that, but you probably would never be able to get the processor up to a point where it required 1.7V (that would be like 4.2GHz).

Also, you might want to know, you can go to user profile and make a signature so you don't have to keep typing CONMAN:) after every post because the sig will do that automatically.

Be sure to monitor your cpu temps! If you have stock cooling you may want to invest $20-$35 in a good aftermarket cooler.

Ok guys. Thanks a lot for the info:)

@MetalX. Not to sure what you mean about the signature mate. Never seen anything like that before.

Ahhhhh.....got it sorted, misread MetalX post, would have helped if in his post he wrote:

Also, you might want to know, you can go to user profile and make a signature so you don't have to keep typing "CONMAN" after every post because the sig will do that automatically.

......with the """" included. I thought it was something else:)

Feel like a right knob now.....lol:)

Thanks guys:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back