Overclocked, whatelse???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice

Yes, you know the ongoing saga [realblackstuff, if you're there]

I think I've said that my so-called repairer passed my laptop onto a proper service engineer, [he runs a legitimate business, not like "work at home Carl" who first had it.
On removing the old m/board he found that was a 1000Ghz that had been overclocked, it's specs states Celeron 1300Ghz.
I had it new, & no-one else has looked at it, & he says that it hadn't been out of it's case, so can only conclude that the factory workers, [little Taiwanese girls, presumably] were fitting vamped up components [it's an "Iridium"] he also thinks it's a cause of the scorched heatsink that he found
So, where do I go from there?, his off the record advice was not to tell the first techie, as he would probably worm out of paying saying that it was the makers fault.
Also, I have already sold it to a friend of a friend, & I shall feel guilty, what a dilemma, do I sell it, & not tell?
Woe is me!, come on Irish, put that Guinness down, & "do your thing!"

Maurice.

Your new repairman gave you sound advice where Carl was concerned. He (Carl) never spotted it, so don't make him any the wiser! Besides, overclocking happens to a lot of machines without damage.

The very first 80386-based PC I bought (around 1987 I think), was sold to me as having a 25MHz processor, and turned out to be an over-clocked 20MHz one. I only found out after about 1.5 years when I started tinkering with it. By then it was out of warranty, and the selling company had disappeared. But I can honestly say that the very computer is still running today in 2004 (overclocked and all), used by my sister -in-law for emailing, webbrowsing and Word, running windows 95.

As to telling the buyer of your old laptop: it depends on what has been repaired/replaced in it by your new man.
If the mobo has been replaced and the other problems all sorted out, so much the better, and I am sure it will be in fine fettle again. If your new repair-guy decided not to overclock it anymore and run it at 1GHz (1000MHz=1GHz), it should last for many years to come. If the CPU itself was modified to run at 1.3GHz, a similar problem as you had, might (but not necessarily) occur again, but that will be a few years down the road. Don't worry about it, and no need to inform your buyer about it. I assume you sold it "as is".

Make sure you get your Windows-XP wiped on the old laptop or transfer the license of it officially over to him/her, if you got a new XP with your new rig.

Best of Irish.

I can't believe this!!, I just composed one of my fairly lengthy replies, only to see it vanish before I could submit it @)*&^%+¬!>< etc!!
Here is a revised, shorter version;-

[1] He, [Colin] fitted a brand new mobo.

[2] He found that the heatsink was scorched, & thinks it was due to the o/clocking, how will that affect the future performance?

[3] He intends to re-install XP,using my disc, how will that affect my buyer, if he doesn't re-register it in his name?, I shall make him aware that it is in my name, & leave it up to him, will that be sufficient?

[4] The new rig comes with XP Home installed.

[5] Finally, what the heck IS overclocking??

Thanks yet again RBS, for your patience, in answering my interminable queries, you've got the patience of a saint.....Patrick of course, your adopted one!

Best of British

Maurice

1] new mobo is excellent
2] no influence on performance
3] if you sold it as "laptop with XP", then transfer the license to the buyer. XP must be re-activated after the mobo-replacement anyway.
4] If you sold only the laptop, wihout an OS, then get your old XP installed on your new PC, and save yourself the cost of buying/paying for a new XP.
5] if you run a 1GHZ CPU at 1.3GHZ, then you overclock. Depending on CPU and mobo, you can change BIOS and/or jumpers to modify the CPU-speed in a number ow ways.

Thanks,realblackstuff,
Yes, I am pleased that it' a new mobo, an advanced one too, it also has firewire, which I believe has to do with connecting with other computers
My friend will, I suppose, transfer the licence to the ultimate buyer, but Knowing him, he will try & convince him that he should have Professional, [he has the disc].
You don't know how pushy my friend is, he almost talked me into having it, he IS a good friend, but very critical about things I do, he poo-poo'd the fact that I bought an Epson printer, & a Packard-Bell scanner, saying that I should have got such-and-such makes, his wife tells him off, saying that it's my business what I get, he's very "in your face" but , as I say, a good friend, I go there for an evening meal etc., quite often, & have got used to him, [I must be mellowing in my old age!]
Thanks again for your help, try not to get crusty as you get old, it's difficult to keep your patience if you do.

Maurice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back