Overclocker pushes single-core Celeron 900 to 4GHz with liquid nitrogen

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A professional overclock from China that goes by the name of “Wytiwx” has managed to set a new record in HWBOT Prime. That’d be impressive enough on its own but it’s even more astounding when you learn the task was done using an Intel Celeron 900 based on the Penryn microarchitecture.

After realizing that overclocked Penryn processors tend to post excellent scores in HWBOT Prime, Wytiwx found a Celeron 900 clocked at 2.2 GHz and mated it with a motherboard from a notebook. Using liquid nitrogen, the Chinese overclocker was able to push the front side bus (FSB) all the way up to 363 MHz which resulted in a 4 GHz clock speed.

This setup gave Wytiwx a new top score of 2,668.63 Primes per second (PPS) in the single CPU HWBOT Prime category. That tops the previous high score of 2,448.03 PPS from a Celeron LGA775 450 by a significant margin.

In a description alongside some included photos and screenshots, Wytiwx thanked people for the tip about 45-nanometer CPUs being good benchmark candidates and suggested that there could be more in the chip but a wall was hit.

The Celeron 900 was released in the first quarter of 2009 and features 1MB of L2 cache, an 800 MHz FSB and was built on the aforementioned 45-nanometer process. They carry a 35W maximum TDP and a $70 price tag according to Intel’s spec sheet.

Permalink to story.

I'm sort of impressed but this is not practical at all. I have to wonder and ask... what is this for??

This is impressive but in reality pointless because of many reasons:

First of all, its a Celeron, a Dated one at that
Second: Liquid Nitrogen cooling is inconvenient to begin with (But for heavy clocks and things like this it makes sense)
Third: While I admire someone being that skilled to pull this off, besides a few numbers its in reality pointless.

Im impressed he pushed the chip that far, but we have chips that go way beyond that on liquid Nitrogen. Sad enough this is such a dated chip that even though he got a new record on HWbot its just a number. Ill give him credit that its an impressive feat, but it would be like buy a car and mod it so it can hit 130+ miles per hour instead of just buying a car that already can hit those speeds.

I still think it's cool and pointless at the same time, it's a record worth mentioning and I'm no hater....

I'm sort of impressed but this is not practical at all
Thats disgusting. Why waste such effort and nitrogen on a celeron.
This is impressive but in reality pointless
You step out for coffee and as soon as your back is turned they take the enthusiast out of "tech enthusiast site"
but it would be like buy a car and mod it so it can hit 130+ miles per hour instead of just buying a car that already can hit those speeds.
Easy to see that you've never restored a car in your life. Rodding is less about the practicality of transforming something than it is about the enjoyment of working on a project and realizing something largely through the product of your own labour.

As for sub-zero overclocking, it might seem a waste of time/energy/resources for some, but to an outsider so does tag and release big game fishing, amateur motorsports, and any pastime that requires a financial commitment for little in the way of tangible reward outside of personal satisfaction.

I'd also note, that starting with a dirt cheap CPU and a modest equipment budget and transforming it into a number one spot at HWBot is a pretty good way to get noticed, attract vendor sponsorship, and to parlay that into expenses paid global competition.

Last edited:
Prescott was a great P4 don't have this and the 900MHz No Release Chip anymore Today we have SoC and one CPU acting like 2, 4 or higher. I like the old way with you had dual CPU in there but. Costly to build so they just give you all-in-one.

This is a project but doesn't do much here any good to LN in the house just to get 4GHz out of old 900MHz that Chip wasn't that stable either.

This is a project but doesn't do much here any good to LN in the house just to get 4GHz out of old 900MHz that Chip wasn't that stable either.
You missed the entire reason for the article. The guy wasn't aiming for an absolute core frequency record, he was aiming for the HWBot Prime world record...which he achieved. The core frequency was merely a means to effect the record.

This is pretty cool and y'all are haters.
Theres nothing wrong with hating unless its for an invalid or pointless reason.
Personally, I was joking, to an extent.
You step out for coffee and as soon as your back is turned they take the enthusiast out of "tech enthusiast site"

Easy to see that you've never restored a car in your life. Rodding is less about the practicality of transforming something than it is about the enjoyment of working on a project and realizing something largely through the product of your own labour.

As for sub-zero overclocking, it might seem a waste of time/energy/resources for some, but to an outsider so does tag and release big game fishing, amateur motorsports, and any pastime that requires a financial commitment for little in the way of tangible reward outside of personal satisfaction.

I'd also note, that starting with a dirt cheap CPU and a modest equipment budget and transforming it into a number one spot at HWBot is a pretty good way to get noticed, attract vendor sponsorship, and to parlay that into expenses paid global competition.
I was kidding, more or less. I agree with you.

Last edited:
Meantime, I'm asking why use nitrogen for cooling at all. That is such an impractical application, that would only be used on a test bench.
Maybe in time we will be able to fit supercompressors on PCs that will keep nitrogen a liquid...can you imagine.

It's actually very cost effective. Using a 4770K or a 2011 chip for extreme overclocking is a very expensive risk. The L2N probably set him back a bit, but the HW was probably cheap as dirt, and if he fried it... who cares. Sounds like most of the comments above are from 24/7 overclockers. This guy is going for records, he couldn't care less if the HW even worked after the benchmarks were complete. I tried getting in to HWBot overclocking, but it seems overly complicated to get started.

99% of the world records out there are not practical and useless yet people do it because they can and because they want too, this is the same thing. It's the same as those people who go for the longest distance on a marshmallow shot out of your nose, just to see if you can not cause it can save the world.

Prescott was a great P4 don't have this and the 900MHz No Release Chip anymore Today we have SoC and one CPU acting like 2, 4 or higher. I like the old way with you had dual CPU in there but. Costly to build so they just give you all-in-one.

It's a 2.2GHz chip not 900Mhz.

Yeah, I think you got confused with a Celeron 900 (2.2Ghz) and a Celeron at 900Mhz which would have been somewhere around what... 2000?

Yeah, I think you got confused with a Celeron 900 (2.2Ghz) and a Celeron at 900Mhz which would have been somewhere around what... 2000?
Yeah, I have one of the 900's in a laptop. It is indeed 2.2Ghz, (at least that's what it says on the label), but compared to my desktops, it feels like its running @900Mhz.....:D

One of these days, I may attempt a new world record with it........(wait for it).....while I"m picking my nose, twirling a hula-hoop on my d***, standing on one foot, (en pointe), and running Super Pi.....*nerd*

Last edited:
Back