Status
Not open for further replies.

Halos

Currently I am running my new rig as is:

XFX MB-N650-IUL9 nForce 650i Ultra Motherboard
C2D E6600 @ 2.4GHz (Stock Cooling) CPU
2 GB G.Skill DDR2-800 RAM 5-5-5-15 (Likely to add 2 more gigs very soon) Memory
XFX GeForce 8600GT w/ 256mb Ram Video Card

Using TAP, my CPU temps on both cores are sitting at 34C idle and go up to around 45-55C on full load testing. What I'm really curious about is whether or not I'm hampering the performance of my machine by having the two separate speeds. (2x400 on the RAM and 4x266 on the 1066FSB for the CPU). Lastly, if I am, what settings can be changed to make these match at a 1:1 ratio?

Thanks ahead of time guys!

So after delving a little deeper, I think I found the correct answer, but I just wanted to confirm that I'm right in my thoughts. Since the actual bus speed on the RAM is 400mhz(effect x2) and the actual speed on the FSB is 266(effect x4) then I have basically 2 options to achieve 1:1 ratio.

1. I could bump the RAM down to DDR2-533, making the actual bus speed 266mhz (effective 533mhz), matching the FSB.

2. I could OC the C2D to 400mhz bus speed (effective 1600mhz).

My only question now is, with OC'ing the FSB, would I have to decrease the multiplier for a more stable system? (Is that possible?) Or am I going to hope that in OC'ing the FSB to 400mhz I won't burn out the chip?

Your E6600 should be able to acheive 400mhz given the right cooling methods.

But if you really want, some motherboards allow you to reduce the multiplier (but not increase). Bump it down one, and you should be able to run 400mhz.

However, I don't think bumping down the multiplier would be as effective as just using a slightly lower FSB in C2Ds. Take a small hit in your RAM speed, but overclock your CPU at the same time, say run it at 380mhz fsb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back