overclocking 34MHz

By palmboy5
Jan 1, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a Celeron at 466MHz, i just want it at 500MHz. The Celeron is already cooled by a CPU fan, what i want to know is if the fan can handle a 34MHz overclock?

HP Pavilion 6535
  2. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

Just for reference purposes, I got my old Slot 1 Pentium 3 450MHz up to 558MHz without a single problem. Had a wimpy little 40mm fan on it.

Yeah, it will. It will probably handle more - but I wouldn't reccomend it just for temperature purposes. Sure, go ahead. The worst thing that could happen is that your computer won't boot, in which case all you have to do is hold the power button down and press it again :D
  3. palmboy5

palmboy5 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 112

ive looked through CMOS, but i dont know where to change it:blush:
  4. Vehementi

Change the FSB?

Ah, that's because you have a proprietary HP system board. Usually system manufacturers like Dell, HP, Gateway, etc. don't allow you to do much from your CMOS, changing the FSB/Multiplier included. You either want to buy a new system board, use a software program to overclock, or flash your BIOS from a file that is of the same exact specifications as yours, even the slightest deviation can cause you major problems.
  5. palmboy5

well actually i had the HD reformated, it was just messed up from 3 viruses and someother stuff...

then at bootup it no longer showed the HP logo thing...if that helps...
  6. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

Unless you had a virus that modified the BIOS it won't make any difference... (And if you'd had a virus that modified your BIOS, you wouldn't be able to boot...)

You could be very luck, and have jumpers on your motherboard that will enable you to change the FSB (front side bus) or Clock Multiplier (but this will only work on the first P2/celeron chips...)

Take a look in your mothboard user manual... It should list all the jumpers...
  7. palmboy5

now where da hell his my manual...
    what about those software program to overclock?
  8. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

I seriously doubt you'll find a software program to oc your system since you've bought prebuilt...

The program will access your BIOS and make the changes whilst you are in windows, but since your BIOS doesn't support oc'ing (as it is now), no program will work...

It might be easier to find a BIOS ver which allows for oc'ing, but I'd try to find that manual first...
  9. Vehementi

If I were you I wouldn't even bother overclocking 34MHz because you won't notice one single performance difference at all.
  10. palmboy5

www.pcpitstop.com

recommends at least 500MHz, i just dont like to see a yellow flag...

and it would be nice to have the experience....
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.