Overclocking a 6800 Extreme??

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can overclock the 6800 to 3.5 on some fan cooling. the articles are everywhere. Me personally Im going to eventually get the Quad core instead. I thought of getting the 6800 as well

Ill look around a bit more for the articles. The thing about the link I added in was that they took at 2.66 and got it up to a 3.66. So in theory they should be able to get a 6800 EX 2.94 up to 3.94??? What ya think?

Im not talking about the graphics card....Im talking about the processor. Intel® Core™ 2 Duo X6800 Extreme Edition @ 2.93GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64Tsor. :) :)

3.8 might need water cooling, or heavy duty air cooling like a Zalman 9700 or something. But a Core 2 at 3.5 is plenty fast enough for whatever the hell you might be doing with it.

You can get 5ghz too, I think I saw some SuperPI benches for 5ghz Core2. Really incredible.

Now, all you need to do is find a good supplier of liquid nitrogen...

If i can get it to at least 3.8 range I will be happy enough. More is always better. Anyone have a link or hints on trying to achieve this? Here is what Im ordering.

-2 Duo X6800 Extreme Edition @ 2.93GHz 1066FSB
-Monsoon II Lite CLT-M2LI LGA775 CPU Air Conditioner Cooling System
-Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader 4GB (4x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800
-EVGA nForce 680i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard

increase vcore to 1.37. dont change the multiplier, you can put fsb to 1420. that is if you're mobo can hancle it. Which it lookslike it can

Keep the multiplier at x11, put the FSB at 346MHz, and that gives you 346x11 = 3806Mhz. Increase the Vcore by 0.0125 increments until it is stable at 3806MHz. Alternately, you could put the FSB at 364MHz, and see if it would run at 364x11 = 4004Mhz.

If you have an air conditioned case, as you said, you may be able to reach 4GHz on air cooling (not stock though ;))

I reckon money is much better spent on a watercooling setup, instead of an airconditioned setup. Probably more efficient too.

Also, you might see an improvement in performance if you lowered the multiplier, and increased your FSB to reach the same speeds. You'll have to run some benchmarks to determine if its better....

I'd mention something about the RAM, but 4gb twin sets aren't really that common yet... You'd definately be able to get faster 2gb sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back