TechSpot

Overclocking a Dell Dimension 5150?

By cosmos100
Nov 23, 2007
  1. Hey guys,

Been a member for a few months and although a lot of this site is out of my depth I still try to offer any advice I can and I'm also very grateful for the advice you give me and I come knocking at the help door once again.

I have a Dell 5150 (as you may know, specs are on my profile).

I have a 3.4ghz processor, I talked to a few guys at work on overclocking and they said I can't really push it beyond 3.8ghz, which is fine with me, too some extent I'm doing this as an exercise (As I'm wanting to learn more about computers).

I was wondering more than anything, could I possibly overclock my processor another 5% or so on my stock fan to about 3.6ghz (details included on my computer here: http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5150/en/sm/specs1.htm#wp1052310).

Is this possible as I hear Dells aren't easy to overclock.

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers

PS - I've read the pinned threads on overclocking ect.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,987   +168

I would not recommend that you overclock this system. The motherboard, and other hardware is very sensitive. The bios is crippled. You can damage the system making it useless. Unless you are planning to buy another system soon, leave overclocking to others

3. cosmos100

cosmos100 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 82

Hoping I wouldn't hear that, I am planning on building a PC within about 6 months. (To which I will be coming back here for some advice on).

I'm just trying too push as much out of this system (for minimal cost) before I actually sell it, I've already doubled the RAM and cleaned up my computer of most of it's crap.

Thanks for the advice Tmagic.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.