Overclocking a Dell XPS 420!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

British_Command

I'm new to the whole overclocking thing, but I get the gist of what it is anyways basically my friend said it was a 'must do' thing so yeah.

I was reading around and it didn't seem to safe to overclock a DELL computer. But I could only find reasons to not overclock a DELL on the older systems whereas this system is quite new.

I don't know if DELL have changed at all but I'm looking to overclock the Q6600 quad core 2.33 ghz processor and 8800GTX gfx card.

Thanks,
any help appreciated.

No problem, mate ;)

I don't know how well Dell's OC but it is an XPS so it's built for gaming and high performance and whatnot.

There's two options really, either search around for people who have done what you want to do, or try it and see how it goes. But don't get over-enthusiastic, or you'll end up with a rather expensive door stop.

Thanks

Thanks for the info,
Only reason I have really check up on 'Overclocking' is because my friend set I should be able to run COD4 on highest gfx with a 8800GTX averaging 60 - 80 fps but I seem to be only averaging 45fps... in my opinion I can't see the difference but If my graphics card has potential to run better than it already does then I wanted to look for a way of making it run better.

I know this is kind of an old thread, but maybe I can be of some help. I purchased a Dell XPS 420 Q6600 and was able to overclock it to 3.2ghz. I did a write up on how to do it.
home.austin.rr.com/waterdogs2/xps420.htm

E8500

catfish45 said:
I know this is kind of an old thread, but maybe I can be of some help. I purchased a Dell XPS 420 Q6600 and was able to overclock it to 3.2ghz. I did a write up on how to do it.

Can this process be done to the newer processor E8500 anyone please will be appreciated.

catfish45 said:

Hey i just read that guide, how does that work then? And how did you find out about that? Im really interested as i have the same PC and would love to try and OC it but would prefer to use software or somehow the BIOS rather than actually messing with the CPU physically.

Cheers Lee.

Random Help Wanted

Hey I just got my dell xps 420 yesterday and I wanted to know 2 things.
The bluetooth light, is it meant to stay on all the time as mine does and the button next to it, well what is it meant to do?
Secondly, how long does you xps 420 with vista startup take. Mine takes about 3-4 minutes, which for a quad core i thought is really slow. Any ideas on how to speed it up and fix the bluetooth, if there is a problem. Thanks in advance

Xps 420

Hey I just got my dell xps 420 yesterday and I wanted to know 2 things.
The bluetooth light, is it meant to stay on all the time as mine does and the button next to it, well what is it meant to do?
Secondly, how long does you xps 420 with vista startup take. Mine takes about 3-4 minutes, which for a quad core i thought is really slow. Any ideas on how to speed it up and fix the bluetooth, if there is a problem. Thanks in advance

In regards to the bluetooth, i've also been wondering the same thing. Don't know about the button next to blue light and what is it for makes no sense to me, because when i press it, it does not do anything. however my 420 takes close to a minute to boot up completely, i have Raid 0 Configuration with 2 500GB Hard Drives, that makes it faster to load, the quad core does not mean anything since it really uses only 2 instead of the 4. also i formatted my pc in order to put vista fresh with none of the junk and partitions that it comes with. it also makes it faster i also have 4GB of ram at 800Mhz and the new Intel Core 2 duo 45nm processor at 3.1Ghz which runs cooler and faster. all of this makes the computer run faster and load faster, and for gaming this machine is very powerful as it also have a Nvidia 8800 GT 512MB Video Card.

The button on the all in one card reader with blue tooth is for if you get Dells blue tooth keyboard and mouse. It is used like logitech to pair the keyboard and mouse. I hope this clears the unknown.

i have the same computer as you

i also have the xps 420 and i am in the market for a new graphics card

looking at yours it is better than mine so i am thinking of buying it but looking on the geforce website it says requires 450w minimum

i have a 425 w power supply and talking to dell they say i cnt upgrade the power supply so i was wandering if you are having any problems with this graphics card in your computer and did it come with the computer or did you buy it separately

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back