TechSpot

Overclocking a Pentiium 3?

By thadanman2k1
Sep 22, 2002
  1. Is there a way I can get a little more out of my Pentium 3 750? Like a utility? I have a big fan on my Pentium , so I don't think it'll over heat. I won't be going to high either. I just want a little more juice.:grinthumb

2. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

I got my 450 up to 558, perfectly stable. I bet you could squeeze 900+MHz out of that sucker. If not 1GHz ;)

SoftFSB should work fine, but I'd reccomend overclocking with your BIOS.

Do you have alot of case fans? What are your temps?

3. thadanman2k1

thadanman2k1 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

SoftFSB? Where can I get? How can I do it in the BIOS? I have a large fan on the processor and a fan blowing on my tower. The room is kept a little cool also.

4. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

5. thadanman2k1

But I need to know the actual procedure. Thanks that helped ,though.

6. Th3M1ghtyD8

You need to go into the BIOS and increase the FSB (Front Side Bus)

Current = 750 = 7.5x100

Simply increase the FSB for example ...

7.5x110 = 825Mhz
    7.5x133 = 997.5Mhz

133 will get you a Ghz but i'm not sure if it will go that high

also, you may need to alter AGP/PCI bus dividers if you can if you go high, otherwise the PCI/AGP slots will run too fast (i.e. out of spec)

Post back if you need more information, i'll try to point you in the right direction ;)

7. thadanman2k1

I'm in need of some specific instructions (i.e. "look here...") because i don't really know where to find the fsb in my BIOS. thx in advance!:grinthumb

8. stevecool67

stevecool67 TS Rookie

well it's kinda hard to describe for you specifically, because almost every BIOS is different but It is generally found under chipset features.

P.S. I really recommend that you read a little more up on overclocking your Processor! I am a semi-intermediate overclocker and am currently building a custom water-cooling rig for my PC and overclocking is not an exact science, so I recommend you look before you leap.

Processors can get expensive after melting down 2 or 3 of 'em

"Speaking from personal experiences and those of friends"

9. Th3M1ghtyD8

10. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

A large fan? A high RPM one? I don't think this is always true...large fan = high RPM value.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.