Overclocking AMD CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin997

hello,

In my 6 year old imternet pc I have an AMD Athlon 1GHZ cpu and would like to gain a little performance without spending anything, what is the best way to overclock my cpu???,

thanks,

The fact you are asking such a question means you know nothing about overclocking right?
Overclocking is not something that should be done by someone that doesn't know 100% what they are doing.
The potential for doing harm to your pc is fairly high.
You have to remember that overclocking produces a lot more heat and uses more power so you have to make sure that your CPU is cooled adequately and that your psu is also up to the job. There is also the fact that a lot of mobo's don't support overclocking effectively.

As an example, i spent several weeks searching the net for specific information on all the components in my pc before even beginning to experiment with overclocking. It was only once i was armed with a lot of information and warnings about potential risks that i began the overclocking process.

I will add that a 6 year old machine should probably be left stock until you can spend some $. This would be a good time for you to begin study. There are 'Overclockers' forums out there. Good Luck.

A six year old computer is the device to start overclocking with. What do you have to lose?

Overclockable computers usually have aftermarket motherboards with some special features that allow the user to overclock the processor and memory in the BIOS. Your motherboard should have the ability to change the memory frequency, timings and voltage. The board should also be able to change the processor multiplier, frequency and voltage, and it should be able to raise the chipset voltage. You'll also need memory that is capable of running faster than its rated speed or a motherboard that has memory dividers.

A simple overclock would require you to raise the front side bus. As you raise the bus the memory and processor frequency would also raise. The memory would raise 1MHz for every one 1MHz you raise the FSB as long as there wasn't a memory divider put into place. If the processor has a multiplier of 7.5 (like yours probably does) then the processor speed would raise 7.5MHz for every 1MHz the FSB was raised.

Does your BIOS allow overclocking?

If you have the CPU that I used to have then i expect you have a 100MHz FSB and a multiplier of 10. You may be able to change the FSB to 133 and get it to 1.33GHz but when i tried this is caused the cpu to become unstable and it would crash not long after windows was loaded and the pc had to be reset. This is common with that CPU so unless you have a BIOS that allows you to raise the multiplier in small amounts (which i don't think you can with this processor because the multiplier should be locked) then you won't be able to do a lot, if anything, with your CPU's speed.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but I tried doing exactly what you wold like to do with my old CPU and it didn't work :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back