Overclocking an 8088

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrot

I have an original IBM XT sat in the loft gathering dust, and I had this thought of OVERCLOCKING it :D.

I am not sure waht speed it is currently running at, or where I might be able to change the clock settings on it.

So, any info appreciated.

Firstly... this is an old machine, and while working (last time I checked) I don't care if I fry it by reaching 3.0GHz :D

I have a spare heatsink from my new P4 3.066 Prescott (the Intel stock cooler as it happens, as I am using the Tt SubZero4G). I think that and/ore the spare fridge freezer I have downstairs will be more than enough to do anything with it.

lastly, once I have managed to successfully OC it, what software can I use to benchmarki it?

it only has a 5MB HDD and a 360K (might be 1.2MB, but I don't thinks so) 5 1/4 floppy.

I am upgrading my dads machine soon, and he wants a 5 1/4 built in to it, so installing software should not be a problem.

Any ideas guys?

I have a soldering iron and I am not afraid to use it.

Getting to 3.0GHZ would be a real stretch, because it is only running at a whopping 4.7MHZ. You might get it to about 10-20 MHZ in its present state. But it is one of the first home use PC, and the origional cost around $4000. Good Luck, like to see what you could get it to do.

Just a thought, but if it's in pristine condition, you might be able to pick up a pretty penny for it on ebay.

lzrdlps... 3.0GHz was being a tad sarcastic :D

It will be extremely interesting. Just need to know a bit more about options :D. As for eBay... I'll have a look.

I have a nice Spectrum QL complete with manuals, micro dirves, software and printer. Now that is eBay material :D

If you ask me the best, and most enjoyable thing to do with that old pc, would be to pour gasoline over it, and light it up....

Vassil has the right idea.....personally i like the idea of finding the voltage supply, and cutting the resistors/MOSFETs etc out and replacing them with jump wires.....then turn it on....hopefully it will melt....
A friend and i managed that with a 486.....it got a tad warm....

Steg

I think you could gain a couple of megahertz, but that's about it. Maybe to 7 or 8 MHz, not much more. Still I wouldn't burn it, but that's just me.

My guess is that it wont overclock at all, hell the fastest it'll go will depend on how tall of a building you drop it off of. Or at least that's what I'd do with it...

Just keep hold of it. when were all using nano chips and have 2tetrahurt pc's, your grandson can say he has one of the first ever pc's ever. Think how popular he'll be. Think how many girls he'll get.

You will be able to overclock it only by a couple of MHz and the only way to do it is to replace the oscillator crystal on your mobo with a faster one. Plenty of action for your soldering iron :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back