Overclocking an Acer Aspire T130

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to say hello to all and hope that I can write this clearly and understandbly. I purchased an Acer Aspire T130 3 years ago (AMD Athlon 64 3200+), and due to a finicky hard drive, after about 1.5 years formatted it. Before I formatted however, I noticed it was running at 2.4GHz, yet after formatting it reads at 2.0 GHz, so obviously it was overclocked. Now, before I go much further, I have made some upgrades: PSU was 200W and is now 400W. Went from 512MBs DDR RAM to 1GB DDR RAM (2x512MBs...only 2 slots for RAM, max is 2GBs). Came with Seagate 120GB hard drive, using it as a slave, master is now Western Digital 250GB. Video card crapped out last week, can't remember exact model but it was an ATI Radeon 128MB (AGP) and now have ATI Radeon 9550 256MB (AGP). I'm fairly certain that's all I have added so far (the next PC I get I would prefer to build myself).

Anywho, my question is this: After reading the simple overclocking guide, I went into my BIOS to try, in small increments, to overclock the CPU, however, in any category there is no option to change the CPU setting, in frequency there are only two options available and they only allow me to enable/disable, does this mean my bios is locked, and if so, how can I unlock it to enable overclocking (Phoenix-AwardBIOS v6.00PG)?

Thanx in advance for any help. :)

I looked up that BIOS but couldn't not find out much about it. You could "flash" your BIOS. This newer version may have your over clocking needs. Since you know that it was running faster before, do some studying about your motherboard. Find out what "enable/disable" means, and if you can get that speed back.

First of all the hard drive doesn't actually have anything to do with the speed your processor runs at. So reformatting it would not change the CPU speed in anyway.
Your CPU speed is controlled by the bios which is loaded before the HD is accessed.

The second point is that I think it's very unlikely that your CPU ever achieved 2.4 gHz. A look at this site
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-3200_14.html#sect1
Shows the best they could achieve was 2.34Ghz.
It would have taken some effort to beat that, and the chances of doing it with the standard components provided by Acer are close to zero I think.

I'm not sure where you saw the 2.4gHz figure, but I suspect it wasn't referring to your CPU.

99% of Preset Computers (branded) do not support Overclocking, you need to have a custom build PC with a custom BIOS to support overclocking, i also suggest Water Cooling for Overclockers. Mine works a treat. got from 2.66Ghz Dual now to 3.02GHz Dual.

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back