TechSpot

Overclocking and resetting to stock frequently

By bangs777
Feb 11, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. So I recently started to overclock to boost performance out of my old cpu,core i3-530..I could manage 3.6 ghz at stock volt..with more volts, I have clocked till 4.07 ghz..I don't see any point crossing that barrier.Here's my concern..Is it safe to overclocked(say 3.6ghz) and then reset it back to default/stock frequently or rather set to a certain speed and keep it as it is..I am concern with longevity of processor and power consumption since I couldn't set the bios to increase or decrease the clock hertz as windows does at its default..

2. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Evangelist Posts: 494   +126

What voltage did you use to get to 4ghz? If we know that we can kinda say if its a safe day to day OC voltage. If your planning on running your system Overclocked all the time I have always kept speedstep/cool and quiet enabled to allow the cpu to down clock when idle to save on power and I have gotten 3+ years out of every chip I have overclocked while doing that.

3. bangs777

bangs777 TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 32

I use 3.25 volts to go till 4ghz..well is that safe? since I fixed the cpu ratio manually in bios, maybe that's why I couldn't let windows decrease clock speed at idle..I will check into speedstep/cool and quiet option..thanks..

4. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Evangelist Posts: 494   +126

well the 3.25 volts is not your cpu voltage, if your processor is still alive at 3.25 volts then that is a miracle. On Intel you would be using speedstep, cool and quiet is for AMD cpus.

5. bangs777

Damn.. I wrote it wrongly..1.325 volts..ha ha ha..will update bios to get an option not available with my current option called intel speedstep tech

6. bangs777

Apparently,it is in my bios. Intel speedstep tech gets disabled when cpu ratio is set to manual..with cpu ratio and voltage set to auto I could manage 3.74ghz...It gives me a peace of mind knowing that the cpu is not overclocking full time..