TechSpot

Overclocking ATI X1650 PRO

By aege125
Aug 25, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have an ATI X1650 PRO graphics card and i was wondering if it would be safe to overclock it. I have a 350W PSU which is around 2.5 years old and on the the graphics package box it say it is recommended to have 350W PSU or greater. I went to http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine and at peak system load it said i use around 275W (with 20% capacitor aging).

Would it be safe to overclock with the PSU that i have?

Video Card Temps: around 55 degrees Celcius when idle and i've never seen it go past 64 when playing oblivion

Would overheating be a problem?

Thanks in advance for those who respond.

Please post about past experiences with overclocking as well such as damage to components. (note: i have never overclocked before)

2. Trumpet260Z

Trumpet260Z TS Rookie

I say try. Download a tool called ATI Tool and check your temps. 350 is quite low. You can buy a low end 450 PSU for around $55. What are you system specs and cooling arrangements?

3. NFSFAN

NFSFAN TS Rookie Posts: 340

Use ATI Tray tools to overclock, its your best bet, and the safest one too. Remember take it easy with overclocking, so just go in increments of 5-10mhz

4. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

Ive never had that card, but my friend bought that card late last year. Make sure you have good case cooling. He wound up melting his card nearly. His case temp went as high as 60C, but he had his fan set up all wrong.

5. NFSFAN

NFSFAN TS Rookie Posts: 340

hahaha, almost melted the card. Yeah just make sure your video card does not go above 65 Celsius, or you can mod the cooling on your card, for more efficient cooling.

6. aege125

aege125 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

Pentium 4 socket 478 3.0GHz prescott
    2 x DDR 512
    350W PSU
    7200rpm IDE WD HDD
    Sapphire X1650 PRO
    CD/DVD drive never operating when playing games

*yea its an old processor and got an asrock motherboard

my computer case is left open and i dont have any case fans, just the ones on PSU, graphics card, and CPU

CPU : 52 celcius (idle)
    Video card : 54 celcius (idle) highest temp 64 when playing oblivion
    Motherboard: 43 celcius (idle)

the Catalyst control centre has the ATI Overdrive section for overclocking..... and it should warn me when temps get too high if it ever does when overclocking.... but what i want to know is if my PSU can support the overclocking (2.5+ year old PSU)

how much power would the graphics card eat up if i'd increase 5MHz for both GPU and memory?

7. LinkedKube

Your cpu is a hog, I wouldnt opt to overclocking even with your case open. You dont have moving air gong through your machines, which is important.

8. aege125

aege125 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

does my CPU bottleneck my graphics card's performance?

9. LinkedKube

I would think so, not a lot though, Problem is if you wanted to upgrade your cpu to something current, you'd need a new mobo. Obviously you want better performance from your gpu. If you have the money just get a better card, or you could try seeing how far you can get with that one first.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.