Overclocking? Disadvantages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianinlfc

Hi,
I am sorry but I am a n00b at this. :(
I have a 8800GTS with a core clock of 580Mhz I am thinking of Overclocking it, but I have a question regarding overclocking. What are the disadvantages? will it affect the chip? (even when you overclock it in stable condition) does it hurt the GPU in anyway?
So if you overclock it, as long as you maintain it in a tempertaure under 60C would it be fine?
I just wanted to know the conqusences of overclocking.
Thank you.

The risk is it could be unstable. You could also burn out your chipset if you bring it up by large increments.

Honestly if you play it safe then there's nothing to worry about when you overclock.

Just keep an eye on your temperature and maintain a safe threshold below the specified maximum. You might need to buy an aftermarket cooling unit if you cannot manage the extra heat.

Overclocking is forcing a setting that makes the component run faster than the manufacturer's specification, which does "shorten the life" of the chip. But that's usually nothing to worry about because the magnitude of overclocking damage is way too small. You'll probably go through a few new video cards by the time the negative effects of overclocking start showing up.

Great thanks!
I thought it would shorten the chip life, but didnt know by how much. Anways the temperature that I should maintain should be under 60C for a GPU? Sometimes I see it go higer to 70? Is that safe for a GPU? I am running the Fan speed at 90% if I increase it higher it gets Noiser. Are there any programs that I can test if the overclocking I did is stable?
I was also thinking about getting a new CPU fan for a Dual Core 3.0Ghz socket 775 Mine's Idl tem is about 34C and when I am playing games it goes up to about 59-61C. I am using the stock fan that came with it.
Are there any good fans out there some where in the range of $30-$40
What should I be looking for in a fan? The RPM?

Thank you very much for the help.

The safe operating temperature is going to vary from GPU to GPU. Check with the manufacturers or use a search engine...

You aren't going to want to just replace the heatsink fan but the entire heatsink along with the fan. Somehow I figure that's probably what you meant with the $30-$40 price range. Anyway, here is a link to some heatsinks which are compatible with your socket.

I personally use this heatsink with this fan. I use that with a Pentium D 820 overclocked to 3.64Ghz (about an 800MHz OC) and I keep the fan at around 750RPM's (less than 60% the max speed), it keeps my CPU at around 105-110F/40-43C.

Looking for a fan really depends on what you want. Better cooling (higher CFM) = more noise (higher dBA), less noise (lower dBA) = not as efficient cooling (lower CFM). You can always buy a fan rated for something faster/louder than you want and buy a fan controller, or check your motherboard manual to see if it provides some form of fan RPM regulation.

Your card can take much higher than 70, I think the card throttles itself at 120C. Thats probably higher than you want and someone here was having problems around 100. I wouldn't mess with an aftermarket heatsink/fan for that card unless your temps are getting to the upper 90s.

SNGX1275 said:
Your card can take much higher than 70, I think the card throttles itself at 120C. Thats probably higher than you want and someone here was having problems around 100. I wouldn't mess with an aftermarket heatsink/fan for that card unless your temps are getting to the upper 90s.

I believe he is considering getting an aftermarket heatsink/fan for his CPU not GPU.

I was also thinking about getting a new CPU fan for a Dual Core 3.0Ghz socket 775 Mine's Idl tem is about 34C and when I am playing games it goes up to about 59-61C. I am using the stock fan that came with it.
Are there any good fans out there some where in the range of $30-$40
What should I be looking for in a fan? The RPM?

Zenosincks said:
I believe he is considering getting an aftermarket heatsink/fan for his CPU not GPU.
I was responding to the first post which was about a GPU and overclocking. Then in his 2nd post (#3 in the thread) he was still talking about a GPU at the start. So I think my post is still relavant to the thread. The CPU appeared to be an afterthought.

Brianinlfc, for the same/similar price I would recommend the Tuniq Tower 120 over the Zalman 9500/9700. Slightly superior cooling, though, the Zalman 9700 is pretty nice :).

I was responding to the first post which was about a GPU and overclocking. Then in his 2nd post (#3 in the thread) he was still talking about a GPU at the start. So I think my post is still relevant to the thread. The CPU appeared to be an afterthought.

He asked for the safe operating temperature of GPU and at no point mentioned a heatsink or fan replacement for his GPU, but okay then... :confused:.

I thought it would shorten the chip life, but didnt know by how much. Anways the temperature that I should maintain should be under 60C for a GPU? Sometimes I see it go higer to 70? Is that safe for a GPU? I am running the Fan speed at 90% if I increase it higher it gets Noiser. Are there any programs that I can test if the overclocking I did is stable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back