Overclocking help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCool

Alright, as I've mentioned in another thread I'm currently doing some overclocking, but I've hit a road block. Right now I am only doing adjustments to my fsb speed and according to everything I've read I should be able to go higher. I have an Intel P4 prescott, 3.0ghz. Currently overclocked to 3.6 with fsb at 240 mhz. The highest I was able to get it to run at was 250mhz, which came to 3.75ghz processor speed. I've read that the main reason for crashing doing this is due to the fsb exceeding what the memory can support. I have 2 gigs of pc4300 at 533 mhz, so I should be able to get my fsb up to atleast 266mhz shouldn't I? So, if my memory isn't the problem, what else could be causing it? Btw, I'm having no heat issues, I've had no change in heat since I've started ocing but I'm guessing thats because I haven't messed with voltages or anything.

Thanks again guys,

Tim

Lots of bumping up the FSB might mean you need to up the voltage(do it in SMALL increments) also if you think it's your memory, modify the FSB:DRAM ratio so it stays lower(or limit the RAM to a lower frequency).

Well I'm pretty sure its not the ram, because I still have another 16mhz I should be able to up the fsb with the ram still able to support it. How much should I up the voltage at a time? I'll definately go and do some more reading about voltages, I was hoping to be able to get a lil higher without uping the voltages but i guess not.

TCool said:
Well I'm pretty sure its not the ram, because I still have another 16mhz I should be able to up the fsb with the ram still able to support it. How much should I up the voltage at a time? I'll definately go and do some more reading about voltages, I was hoping to be able to get a lil higher without uping the voltages but i guess not.
General rule is to do it by adding the smallest increment possible at a time. Look up some safe voltages for the particular chip and core and make sure you don't exceed it.

Well, I've done two increases so far, upped my voltage from 1.38(i believe) to currently 1.43 and am currently running at 3.8ghz with a 1021.9mhz bus speed. I haven't really gone up in temperature much yet, although I haven't really put much of a load on the system to check how its doing under load. Right now its running at about 43C which is quite a bit lower than it was running yesterday not overclocked. Amazing how much a dust cleaning and wire/cord organization will help lower your temps. I'm going to try to hit 4ghz with my air cooling, not sure if I'll be able to keep the temps under control... right now I'm just dreaming of getting my watercooling.

Again, thanks for the help.

what are some good frequencies I could try on my CPU?
If I try and underclock to low it dosn't even boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back