Not open for further replies.
  1. ok, so I'm planning to use:

Intel Q6600 (overclocked @3.2 ish)
    Asus P5E3 Deluxe Intel X38
    2-4GB DDR3 RAM
    Most likely a solo high end graphics card
    1 HDD
    and a DVD-RW

Will this case cool this setup well enough?

http://www.lian-li.com/product/product06.php?pr_index=19&cl_index=1&sc_index=1&ss_index=4&type=b

I was hoping to use a smaller case rather than a big gaming rig type, but it's my first attempt at an overclocked cpu, so I'm not so sure.

I'd appreciate any useful input.

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,066   +84 Staff Member

If you're going to try overclocking your CPU by 800MHz or so I'd consider an aftermarket heatsink (most of which probably won't fit well inside that case). I'd aim for at least a mid-tower case.

Apart from the cooling issues you could potentially run into, I would bet it's going to be a real pain trying to work inside that case.

3. Mu5ician

Mu5ician TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

ah ok, I was going to install a Tuniq Tower 120 but no idea whether it'd fit, even with the given dimensions.

thankyou very much for the advice

4. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,066   +84 Staff Member

That's a nice heatsink :), though, it's very large. I'd definitely go with a mid-tower case or larger if that is your chosen cooler.

5. nicholas_t

nicholas_t TS Rookie

Short on Space

You will need an aftermarket CPU cooler for sure, Startech doesn't do too bad of a job if you are short on space and also low cost, You will need 3.00" from the top of the Processor plus an inch for clearance.. or get your case cut out for a 120mm filter. You could save another half inch by poping the plastic chrome fan guard off, if you need the room. I took mine off to quiet it down a bit. Right now I am rinning a Big Typhoon by Thermaltake... That dropped the temp down nice and running at 1394, it is now at 34°c :grinthumb ! Ya can't beat that! But You will need 5.0" from the top of the Processor plus some clearance. At least 1.5" or get that Case cut. You have to think about cooling the Graphic Card also...

6. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,573   +9

BT is good, but the Tuniq is better unfortunately. I'd recommend the Tuniq over the BT anyday.

Of course, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.