TechSpot

Overclocking memory

By Moimit
Sep 17, 2006
  1. Well i've been reading all sorts of things about overclocking ram and so far i think i've got a rough idea.

I have the VS2GBKIT667D2 i think :$ without looking that is. but only one stick in.

Its standard latencies are 5-5-5-15 at 1.8v i think.
    I've got it to 4-4-4-12 with +0.1v using the bios. I've seen a heap of ram running this speed and i think it might have been on AT that i saw the exact same model running this. only they ran it at 2.1v which has got me a little worried. Will this effect the lifespan of my memory and if so how much. I know about the average lifespan of a processor is well outside my upgrade period so i've overclocked the hell out of that. Ram i'm not too sure about. I'll be getting some 4-4-4-12 675mhz Giel later on from a friend but with the latencies i'm running will this be roughly the same?

I have used CPU-Z to tell me a little about whats going on and something called "performance test" to check out actual realworld differences so i can post pretty much everything except the proper voltages.

Does anyone know if i should be checking up on something or maybe doing something differently?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: stock(1.86ghz, 5-5-5-15, 4:5 ratio) overclocked(2.33, 4-4-4-12, 1:1 ratio) and my performance using HL2:CSS stress test scores have dropped from an average of 107fps down to 75fps. Can anyone explain to me what happened?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.