Overclocking my hp kayak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all my first post :O.

i have a hp kayak xa-s running at 400~mhz, and i have been trying to overclock it. there is no fsb setting in the bios, but there is a little swithcboard under the hard drives, so i set it to 500mhz. nothing happened except my onboard sound blew up :(. anybody got any suggestions?

thanks,
JOE of LOATH

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

hp kayak xa-s running at 400?

Is this 400 horse power kayak no paddles? JK!
Couldn't pass it up... :haha:

I have a friend who has one of these as well. He tried virtually what you did but did'nt pop the sound. I wonder what the 500mhz settings is for?

you cannot overclock OEM computers.

there are software based overclocking utilities, but since you cannot lock the PCI/AGP bus they are pretty much useless

why would i need to lock the pci/agp bus? oh and i think the sound was a loose screw...
it runs nice and cool though (2 degrees c above ambient at the mo.)

thanks for your help,
Joe of loath

ps. any other help would be greatley apreciated

pci & agp do not tolerate clock cycle above 33mhz & 66mhz.
When they are locked' they are virtualy removed from effects from bumping front side buss speed' when overclocking the cpu, whether or not multiplier or buss speed mhz are increased.

its not your CPU that is preventing your overclock, it's your mobo.

but anyways, i dont know anybody still gets by with a 400mhz computer these days. IMO if you're going to upgrade, you should upgrade your whole system, not just the CPU.

aww ive got a pII... theres a second socket on my mobo for another pII so ill buy one off ebay. shame really. i'll see if i can track down a pIII pc though.

you can buy complete PIII systems off ebay for under $100. this means complete with tower, monitor, keyboard, etc...

i will run win 2k like now, as the pc is designed for win NT, and it takes about 5 mins to install. xp won't fit on my measly 2gb disc when i install msn and win media player. i don't have much storage, see and not enough power sockets on my exstension cord to run external scsi drives (and my scsi card is fried, both of them infact!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back