Overclocking my video card without it going BOOM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

james_k1988

i feel that i could get more out of my video card and was wondering if anyone could tell me what i could do, like what settings to put it at (core spees an all, dont understan all that at the moment, gotta learn :suspiciou )i currenty have a
GeFore Fx5700VE 256mb. I have no idea what its running at, core speed wise etc. any recomendations as to what programs could tell me what its running at, and what i could set it to, to make it run better? thanx

You could oc the card. You'd get some improvement in performance. It is somewhat dangerous and it voids your warranty. You have to be sure to have good cooling so it doesn't overheat and fry. If you overclock doing the coolbits registry hack(run regedit , go to hkey local machine/software/nvidia corp/global/nvtweak/ and right click an empty space on the white box. Create a new dword named coolbits. Then modify that entry and give it a hexadecimal value of 3. Then close regedit.) Then when you open up graphics properties and click settings, then advanced, then click 5700le and on the left pane there should be a clock frequency setting link, click it and then you can change the core and memory speeds. You can "detect optimal frequencies" or do it manually. Test your changes(there's a button to press) and go in small steps(in manual mode)

Just remember small steps, check your temps, benchmark it at the different steps to check performance and to look for artifacts.

i agree!

rite i done all taht an got the new bit, the frequency bit. And tehres 2 circles to check, next to teh top one it says "no onverclocking" which is currently selected, an teh next says "manual overclock" and has the settings below it. But when i go 2 manual overclock it brings up a nvidea thing telling me about how it can damage my equipment etc and at the bottom it says "i agree, i disagree, cancel" but the i agree and disagree bits ar greyd out, so i cant click them, only cancel, any ideas on this one?

hmm

rite I got it, it was jsut wanting me to read the full thing,now as I said be4 I dont have a scooby about g-card overclocking. Below is a print screen of what my current settings are (I changed teh dropdown bar bit from " 2D Standard" to "3D Performance" and all taht done was put the core memory up to 256mhz instead of 225mhz, and I think it put the memory bit up at bit as well. I hit the test button and it gave me these settings) Am I getting as much as I can out of my card? thanx

p.s. so far ive avtually noticed some improvement, cause it seems more speedy than usual lol im bout 2 go test it w/ sum gmz an c wot happens :hotbounce

Attachments

• clock settins.JPG
    clock settins.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 9
Have you clicked on "detect optimal settings"? That should give you an idea. Also I would reccomend getting RAM coolers because that card most likely uses TSOP(rectangular) RAM that runs very hot when overclocked.

yaaaaaaaaaas

yea i click clicked optimal settings, thats what gave me those settings. I'll need to give it more tests but so far so good really but ive encountered another prob. right i click detect optimal settings, then it tests an then i hit apply an ok. But if i go straight back in2 it the settings are set back to teh old ones, "2D standard, core 225mhz, memory 400mhz" i dunno if this its putting the settings back (cause as i said i did notice a differance) or if it just does that when you go to that section. Any ideas?

Are your 3d settings still the same when you go back? I think your card has a 2d and 3d mode, you can adjust the frequency for both. It switches to whichever mode is needed, and since 2d doesn't require much power it can be slower.

coolbit

umm i added that coolbit thing to the regeedit bit, giveing me a new bit on my graphics card properties(disply,settings,advanced,geforce) called clocking frequencies and it gives me what i shoed u be4 (the pic)

more direct 3d

does anyone know what I should set my clock settings to, tog et more performance. I usually use the detect optimal ferquiencys an it sets them itsself, but I dunno if thats ne gd lol

on anotehr note anotehr thing got added when I added coolbit to regedit. Under the performance and quality bit I got "more direct 3d" , check the pic attached and tell me what I should set that to, to get more performance plz :suspiciou

Attachments

• mare d3d.JPG
    mare d3d.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back