Overclocking Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatman05

Now, my grandmother's computer has a NVidia Geforce FX5200 AGP Graphics card. The original settings were: Core - 250mHZ Memory - 400mHZ. I clicked "Detect Optimal Frequenices" and the OC results came out to this: Core - 264mHZ Memory - 430mHZ. So far, no problems have occured. Is this a safe OC, or should I return everything to normal and use the tried-and-true method of OCing?

For a little extra info, this Comp comes with an Antec Smartpower 500W PSU. The rest is in my profile under System #2.

Actually, sellmesanity's reply is pretty much the truth.

The FX-series performance problems had more to do with register problems and shader stalls than core/memory speeds. While overclocking can impact raw theoretical benchmark numbers a little bit, the problems with game performance really doesn't improve much due to the stalls/register issues.

You may have good things for OCing, but you pretty much need a new card if you want to OC optimally.

Definitely yes. Tell you what, i`ve played HL2(medium settings,800x600) and DOOM3(low settings ,640x480) without oiverclocking,they worked smoothly on my Fx5200 desktop computer,and after overclocking there was literally no chance.It`s not worth the risk,don`t overclock it ,you won`t get anything out of it. My laptop though,with the ati x1600 256mb is a different story in overclocking .... :D

I do play the Sims 2, C&C Generals, and C&C Generals Zero Hour. Generals recently started messing up (even with OCing off) so that's not the problem. The card isn't bad because I can play the Sims 2, 1024x768 on medium settings with no problems, good FPS, etc. So, I'm gonna leave OCing on, because as far as I'm concerned, the placebo effect with OCing this card is good enough for me. And Dood, your comp must be somewhat low spec for OCing this card to not work...and you shouldn't have to go that low res for the game....I use low res if I have performance problems, and so far none. 1 ques: Do you use 32-bit color?

Lol^ I overclocked the crap outta my 5500FX, performance gains yes, stablity changes no. It works decent way overclocked. I dont care about it. Im gettin a new card on wednesday.

F1N3ST said:
Lol^ I overclocked the crap outta my 5500FX, performance gains yes, stablity changes no. It works decent way overclocked. I dont care about it. Im gettin a new card on wednesday.

WHAT!!!! Um, let me tone down... did you say you were gettin a new video card?

greatman05 said:
Now, my grandmother's computer has a NVidia Geforce FX5200 AGP Graphics card. The original settings were: Core - 250mHZ Memory - 400mHZ. I clicked "Detect Optimal Frequenices" and the OC results came out to this: Core - 264mHZ Memory - 430mHZ. So far, no problems have occured. Is this a safe OC, or should I return everything to normal and use the tried-and-true method of OCing?

For a little extra info, this Comp comes with an Antec Smartpower 500W PSU. The rest is in my profile under System #2.
Why would you overclock your grandma's computer? :D...
oh and a 5200 isn't worth oc'ing btw :)

Well, because I am very knowledgeable about computers, and my grandma doesn't really care what I do on her computer because of that. She mainly uses it for photo editing and storage, and some video editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back