OVERHEATED!!! CPU Screwed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok... So tonight I thought I'd play some UT... And I noticed it
was EXCEPTIONALLY boggy, like, I got better frame rates on my old 1GHz... (This is a brand new, P4 2.8E)

"Hmmmmmm..." I thought...

Lower details... Nope...
Re-install DX... Nope... Same boggy...

So, ok, wtf, reboot... Just out of co-incidence, check hardware monitor...

!!!!!!!!!

PROCESSOR IS AT 96DEG C... (209degF)... GASP!!!!!!!!! POWER!

Then I thought back a couple days ago, I was just about to go to bed, and I hear this sound like something hit my case... I thought I just dropped something on it, and it was late at night, so, I didn't think much of it...
What actually happened:

One of the clips for the heatsink (conveniently, the piece that's on the motherboard) broke... I don't know how long I've been running it like this...

First question is... Can you buy one of those retention pieces that goes on the motherboard?? How hard is it to change...??

Second... Is my processor going to be damaged now???

would greatly appreciate a reply to this asap, as I'm quite worried right now...

P4s usually don't die from heat and since tne thing was (somewhat) running still then it is very unlikely that something broke. And even if it is broken, what's the diference? Just fix your cooling. If it doesn't work, get a new CPU.

yeah ive had the same problem of overheating with my AMD 2500+ when i had this thermaltake fan.....never buy Tt cooling fans, they just suck! for some reason i thought i would be creative and make myself a new fan with my older cpu fans. i reconstructed a new fan that cools pretty good. but its still hot staying arounf the 123 F. range but it will do the job untill i get a new one. as for intel you have to stick with the really expensive fans to actually get the job done, the thing about intel is it is so expensive. but what do i know, im a loyal AMD fan...

thats pretty hot i have had mine at 90c before but not for long. get some bigger cooling possibly water or if you arent into cooking it. try some arctic silver 5. my $0.002

Originally posted by BloodRaven
yeah ive had the same problem of overheating with my AMD 2500+ when i had this thermaltake fan.....never buy Tt cooling fans, they just suck! for some reason i thought i would be creative and make myself a new fan with my older cpu fans. i reconstructed a new fan that cools pretty good. but its still hot staying arounf the 123 F. range but it will do the job untill i get a new one. as for intel you have to stick with the really expensive fans to actually get the job done, the thing about intel is it is so expensive. but what do i know, im a loyal AMD fan...

The statement that Thermaltake cooling solutions "suck" is complete and utter ignorance. I have had nothing but good experiences with Tt heatsinks, as have every other person that I've heard who has a Tt heatsink. Please don't make a statement if you're not prepared to back it up. Now, granted if you're using one of the earlier Volcanos (up to 6) on a newer processor, that's gonna cause some problems. But it would on every manufacturer of heatsinks, using an old cooling product on a new product like a processor.

And another, you do not only need expensive fans for Intel heatsinks to "get the job done". Their retail heatsinks are proven to be very effective at what they do, even when overclocking, while being quiet at the same time. What more do you want out of a heatsink? That's a ridiculous comment, again, with nothing to back it up except your measly opinion.

Fanboyism is not condoned or supported in any means by TechSpot OpenBoards.

And back to the original topic...:rolleyes:...It's pretty hard to kill a Pentium 4 by overheating it, P4s have onboard temperature throttle settings, which is what you experienced - the processor slowed itself down because it was getting too hot. Athlons dont do this, they rely on the motherboard to shut it off when it overheats. Shut it off, not even throttle it down so you can at least save your work before you have to fix your cooling.
And as for your broken motherboard clip, send the mobo back to your retailer for an RMA. They would have to accept it, since it's obviously a hardware failure, because nothing happened to make it break, it just did. Unless you're using a 3rd party heatsink? Even then it wouldn't matter, though. It's not like they need to know you were using one :D

And Moimit, if you would have read the post you would have been able to see his heatsink fell off, and that's why his temps were so high. Arctic Silver won't help a smidge if he has no heatsink :rolleyes:

Veh you never gave him a chance to back it up, so dont start going off saying "Please don't make a statement if you're not prepared to back it up".

Also, since when was it a rule "fanboys" are not allowed on Techspot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back