Overheating Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am just trying to pick some brains on what could be causing my overheating issue.

PC Specs:
Pentium D 805 (stock fan)
Raidmax Virgo 811W Case
1GB DDR 3200 RAM
Intel D101GGC motherboard

my proc clocks in at a hot 85c on average, but when i try to do ordinary tasks such as install some programs or use hardcore flash games, my computer shuts down and when i reboot its between 95c and 98c (hot as hell) anybody got any ideas on how i can fix this cooling issue and quick?

try turning off the computer for an hour then open the side of the computer case and run it like u do any other day and see how hot it gets

most likely its a bad temp probe, if u can touch the heat sink when its on, u can feel how hot it is, 50C or more will hurt your hand

You do have thermal grease on your Proc right?

I have a celeron-d that can get up to 150 degrees (f), I found the only way to stop it was to take off the side of the case.

You can tell people your computer serves dual purposes; its a computer and space heater in one!:haha:

I had a biostar board once that reported wrong tempatures, one second it would be -5 degrees (c) and then the next 95 degrees (c), turns out the fans were messing up the signals coming from the probe

I had the same prob with my Celeron-D, here is what you do, unplug the power cord and locate the back-up battery on your motherboard and pull it out, wait at least ten seconds and plug the power cord back in, if it says something like load defaults or continue just press whatever button makes it continue.

And if that dosent work their should be a option in the bios that will turn off the protection. You might have to look for it.

ok, but what if it is the heat sink, will this mess anything up? and its not jumping around its always in the 85-98 range, and that in centigrade, so thats almost 210 Fahrenheit. i really think its overheating to be honest.

If you installed the proc your self do you remeber putting thermal grease on the cpu?, sometimes its on the bottom of the heatsink/fan to begin with. But having thermal grease is VERY important. And if all else fails take the side of the case off and go get a regular house fan and point it into the case.

Well, Something Must Be Different.......

If it didn't do it before, and it does it now, what changed?
The Raidmax "Virgo" case has side air ducting. You could install a 80mm fan between the case and the duct and literally supercharge the processor heatsink.
I do this in an Antec "Solution Series" case, because the board BIOS doesn't rev up the proc fan soon enough for my taste (4 wire PWM fan, new Intel board). keeps it pretty cool, (50C), even at 100% proc usage.
This is a 775 LGA socket, so, did the push pins on the heatsink back out? people are constantly complaining about that happening. Some Intel BIOS have a setting for "Aggressive" fan control, try that. If this an Intel board what program are you using to monitor the hardware?

to answer stick's question, i didn't put thermal grease on the proc, because these procs supposedly have a thermal pad on the heat sink itself, and as for what captaincranky said, i have a smaller fan before the duct, are you talking in front of the duct? and i dont have software for monitoring my hardware... could you help me out with that?

how many case fans you got in this system?

air-intake 80mm
two or more air-outtake fans.. 120mm Or does your PSU have 120mm fan for cooling the case from within?

i have a 120mm intake, a 120mm output and a 80mm before the duct, and i believe my psu has a fan that blows into the case

And you're still over heating? How you get this readings from the MOBO in the BIOS? How do you know it's overheating.. What does the BIOS temp read..

rjp0615 said:
to answer stick's question, i didn't put thermal grease on the proc, because these procs supposedly have a thermal pad on the heat sink itself, and as for what captaincranky said, i have a smaller fan before the duct, are you talking in front of the duct? and i dont have software for monitoring my hardware... could you help me out with that?

The Intel stock heatsinks do have thermal material material applied, it works fine. The series of processor that you have run fairly hot normally. (If that can be considered normal). The fan placement I was suggesting is between the side of the case and the duct mounting flange, so that it pressurizes the air in the duct, before it arrives at the processor fan,plus it's pulling fresh air directly from the room. You could run that fan as fast as you need to. If this is an Intel board (didn't recognize the number off hand), you can download from Intel, "Intel Desktop utilities". There are several versions depending on which board you have. A non Intel board (they tell me) would benefit from installing "Speedfan" which is freeware. This should be a clean download link http://www.majorgeeks.com/download337.html I say again; recheck the pushpins on the heatsink to make sure they haven't backed out.
Are the other fans in the system all blowing in the correct direction? (Front case fan into the case, rear fan blowing out of the case, and are they all still working?

ok to captaincranky, and i get my temperature readings from the hardware monitor in my bios, tipstir, and it is an intel board, with an ati chipset, is this fan after the led fan in the side of the case before the duct that i should add?

There is no such thing......

That's an Intel "compatible" board. An Intel board (manufactured by Intel) would only ever have an Intel chipset). Go with the speed fan. If you already have a fan attached to the Removable side cover, then we're talking about the same thing.

Wait the stock fan can handle OC I still use the Intel stock fan with OC, but unless you have something else you dealing with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back