Overheating problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaipanSK8

Ive been recently getting into oblivion and as a result, my comp is starting to burn!

Ive been touching up into the 80'C line and stuff is starting to artifact in the game...But the thing is ive got both sides of the case off, and 4 fans buzzing in there (Internal, cpu, power and gpu).

Im pretty sure I never used to get temps like this playing before. Anyways, I have some stuff in a tube called 'Arctic Silver?' or something like that (taxed it off the schools technician) if that can help the situation at all...

Im not an expert with computers, so plz bear with me.

Any comments, suggestions or flames welcome...

-Josh

Yes that is a good thermal compound and if ur able to apply it properly on the CPU and GPU it should bring temps down quite a bit. U have to remove the heatsinks properly though(not doing it properly can seriously damage the processor or heatsink or both). Use a small object with a thin, flat side to spread the compound thinly over the chip(I like to use an old credit card). It has to be cleaned before this however and the compund has to be applied in a very thin layer. Other guys can explain this in much more detail.

does any1 know where i can get like, a step-by-step noob guide for the reseat of the heatsink. Or just post one. Either would be great.

-Josh

1. turn off the PC and unplug the AC power supply cord
2. touch a grounded metal object to discharge static electricity
3. unplug the heatsink's fan wire
4. "un-hook" heatsink retaining clips/levers (*see below)
5. gently rotate heatsink clockwise/counter-clockwise to break it free from the CPU (this will be easier if the CPU is hot already)
6. gently pull up at 1 corner to remove the heatsink. do NOT pull straight up!, if you do then you might pull the CPU with it and may break or bend pins (not good ;))
7. now that the hs/f is removed, thoroughly clean the hs and cpu with isoproply alcohol to remove all the old thermal compound (or pad)
8. apply the arctic silver to the CPU. the proper procedure is different for each CPU type, read here to find the right procedure for your CPU
9. repeat step #2.
10. put the hs back on CPU.
11. re-attach retaining clips/clamps
12. plug the fan wire back in
13. plug the AC power back in and fire it up :)

*heatsink retension hardware is different depending on the socket type. post your CPU and socket if you need help to release the clips/clamps/levers that hold the hs down

good luck

Well, I put some arctic silver on the the cpu and cleaned heaps of dust and crap out of it. (my heatsink looked like a cube of dust!). Now I have smooth framerates in oblivion and my comp is now running 20'C lower!!!

Thanks for help and advice everyone!!!

-Josh

KingCody you are a ripper mate. well done. I just had a thought that the reason my cpu is running cooler is that i cleaned it with isopropyl and then used the Artic Silver ( i was shocked at how little the tube was - then i recalled what was in it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back