By nique80
Mar 10, 2005
  1. hello. my computer makes noise.sounds like a hairdyer especially when i play also smells like something burning.what i`m suppose to do.i think its the fan.

Computer Manufacturer:-
    Computer Model:-
    Operating System:windows xp pro
    CPU:intel p4 3.0GHz
    Hard drive size:80
    Amount of memory installed:512
    Sound card:forgot
    Video adapter:ATI RADEON X300 SE
    When did the problem start:since i bought the computer(last month)
    What you were doing when the problem first appeared:nothing
    Any new software or hardware installed recently:games(lot of games)
    Any other information you think might help:when the noise start to happen, i open the case and it reduce the i doing right?

may i know the suitable temperature for processor?mine is around 55C.
  2. ripken204

ripken204 TS Rookie Posts: 139

why would it be a fan, unless its a crappy one, but if u smell a plastic or rubber type burning then its prolly the power supply. what is ur power supply?
  3. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,495

It all depends on the core of the p4. if it is a northwood, thats hot. If it is a prescott its warm but not on fire. What is the the fan in question? If it is not on the CPU unplug it and see the noise stops. But i would really be concerned with the burning smell. As stated in the previous post, it could be your PSU as well as a an array of other things. when does this smell happen? as soon as you start up, or does it take awhile? Hope this helps

4. ripken204

ripken204 TS Rookie Posts: 139

and what fan? case or cpu, if cpu what brand and model, u need to be more specific
  5. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

did you contact the place you bought it from?
  6. isatippy

isatippy TS Rookie Posts: 497

That is not all that hot, my presscot ran at about 50c after gaming, but I wanted to cool it down a little so I added some fans an now it runs at about 40c idle and 45c after gaming. :hotouch:
  7. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,495

i have a prescott

Yea isa i have a prescott and it is 54 C under load, but if that 55 is idle then that is to hot. What i would be worried about is the burning smell, that cant be good!!

8. nique80

nique80 TS Rookie Topic Starter

hello. come back again. do anyone have any suggestion, i would like to buy some fans for my me.
  9. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Members would be more inclined to "come back again" if you tried to answer the various questions they have asked you.

1 What psu do you have?

2 What core is your cpu?

3 What fan case etc.

If you have only had the system a short time then it will still under warranty. Take it back to where you purchased it and tell them you want it sorting.

Regards Howard :grinthumb
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.