TechSpot

overheating???

By nique80
Mar 10, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hello. my computer makes noise.sounds like a hairdyer especially when i play game.it also smells like something burning.what i`m suppose to do.i think its the fan.

Computer Manufacturer:-
    Computer Model:-
    Operating System:windows xp pro
    CPU:intel p4 3.0GHz
    Hard drive size:80
    Amount of memory installed:512
    Sound card:forgot
    Video adapter:ATI RADEON X300 SE
    When did the problem start:since i bought the computer(last month)
    What you were doing when the problem first appeared:nothing
    Any new software or hardware installed recently:games(lot of games)
    Any other information you think might help:when the noise start to happen, i open the case and it reduce the noise.am i doing right?

may i know the suitable temperature for processor?mine is around 55C.

2. ripken204

ripken204 TS Rookie Posts: 315

why would it be a fan, unless its a crappy one, but if u smell a plastic or rubber type burning then its prolly the power supply. what is ur power supply?

3. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

well...

It all depends on the core of the p4. if it is a northwood, thats hot. If it is a prescott its warm but not on fire. What is the the fan in question? If it is not on the CPU unplug it and see the noise stops. But i would really be concerned with the burning smell. As stated in the previous post, it could be your PSU as well as a an array of other things. when does this smell happen? as soon as you start up, or does it take awhile? Hope this helps

Sean

4. ripken204

ripken204 TS Rookie Posts: 315

and what fan? case or cpu, if cpu what brand and model, u need to be more specific

5. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

did you contact the place you bought it from?

6. isatippy

isatippy TS Rookie Posts: 593

That is not all that hot, my presscot ran at about 50c after gaming, but I wanted to cool it down a little so I added some fans an now it runs at about 40c idle and 45c after gaming. :hotouch:

7. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

i have a prescott

Yea isa i have a prescott and it is 54 C under load, but if that 55 is idle then that is to hot. What i would be worried about is the burning smell, that cant be good!!

Sean

8. nique80

nique80 TS Rookie Topic Starter

hello. come back again. do anyone have any suggestion, i would like to buy some fans for my com...help me.

9. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Members would be more inclined to "come back again" if you tried to answer the various questions they have asked you.

1 What psu do you have?

2 What core is your cpu?

3 What fan case etc.

If you have only had the system a short time then it will still under warranty. Take it back to where you purchased it and tell them you want it sorting.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.