TechSpot

Overheating?

By ATL tech
May 15, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok i have a laptop that i replaced the power jack on it myself (yes i did it right i do this alot.) i tested the jack made sure it has a charge gains a charge and can run off the A/C powersupply everything was great until about a day later i was getting symptoms similar to overheating, my computer would just shutdown without warning and the bottom of my laptop would be very warm so i have replaced the thermal paste and cleaned out the heatsink /fans also reseated the memory could this be a bad CPU?, i have a P4 3.2 in my laptop so i know its not an energy efficient laptop made CPU. any advice anyone? im lost.
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

check your battery to make sure it is not getting excessively hot. If so, it may be failing and may require replacement. Bad batteries can get abnormally hot when charging. It is normal for them to get hot when charging, but not too hot.
  3. ATL tech

ATL tech TS Rookie Topic Starter

i should have mentioned this but no my battery is not getting abnormally hot it actually isnt gaining a charge at all i can run off A/C power (until it shuts off anyway) but the battery does not take a charge.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.