Overkill? Vivo's latest flagship smartphone packs a whopping 6GB of RAM

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Chinese smartphone maker Vivo has announced a new flagship device that packs more RAM than most entry-level and mid-range notebooks. It's called the Vivo Xplay5 and if you're willing to take a gamble on a relatively obscure Chinese smartphone, this may be the one to spring for.

The Vivo Xplay5 Flagship Edition features a 5.43-inch Super AMOLED display with a resolution of 2,560 x 1,440 that slopes over the sides a la the Samsung Galaxy Edge series. Under the hood is Qualcomm's Snapdragon 820 SoC alongside a whopping 6GB of LPDDR4 RAM and 128GB of local flash storage.

Around back is a fingerprint reader and a 16-megapixel f/2.0 aperture camera powered by Sony's IMX298 Exmor RS image sensor with dual-tone LED flash. Up front is a respectable 8-megapixel f/2.4 aperture shooter for selfies and video calls.

The Flagship Edition also comes with the HiFi 3.0 package which Engadget says consists of two ES9028 SABRE Mobile DAC chips plus three OPA1612 amplifiers for improved audio quality. The dual-SIM handset is powered by a 3,600mAh battery.

Notably, this over-the-top smartphone is missing NFC and USB Type-C support. It also ships with a dated Android 5.1 OS underneath the Vivo skin and curiously enough, there isn't any software that utilizes the curved edges.

The Vivo Xplay5 Flagship Edition will be offered in both gold and pink color schemes. No release date has been set but if you're interested, it'll cost around $650 when it launches.

Permalink to story.

Lg does misleading advertising. They give you an sd card with 8 gig and tell you the phone has 8 gig memory. My dumb brother fell for this, even tho I had an equivalent htc for one third the price picked out for him. He's a genius mechanical engineer, but sometimes I don't know.

That "relatively obscure' happens to make a huge range of phones across China and some in Europe.
Not a bad OEM at all.

Lg does misleading advertising. They give you an sd card with 8 gig and tell you the phone has 8 gig memory. My dumb brother fell for this, even tho I had an equivalent htc for one third the price picked out for him. He's a genius mechanical engineer, but sometimes I don't know.
don't worry, these phones don't come with "SD" cards as memory :D
they mostly use standard components that you find in the majority of western phones.
the prices for chinese phones are so much lower because they don't spend billions on useless R&D, the hardware is all manufactured locally and they also have some help from the government with subsidies and tax exemptions.

don't worry, these phones don't come with "SD" cards as memory :D
they mostly use standard components that you find in the majority of western phones.
the prices for chinese phones are so much lower because they don't spend billions on useless R&D, the hardware is all manufactured locally and they also have some help from the government with subsidies and tax exemptions.

I assume by "useless R&D" is anything not dedicated to the copying of other company's designs. Otherwise, if all company's did not invest in "useless R&D", who would provide better designs?. Faster RAM, better Wifi, faster networks, better screens, et., etc, etc, all comes from your "useless R&D" by someone.

Back