Overnight downloading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, im having a problem i dont know how to fix and if anyone could suggestion anything would be great...

Whats happening is that, say, i want to download, usually torrents, but i usually like to leave a few queued torrents on overnight, whenever i wake up in the morning to check if my downloads have finished, i would find my downloads didnt get far at all, and the connection says limited connectivity... and when i look at my router/modem (netcomm NB5 +4) the PPP led light is off...

Its getting really frustrating, any help would be great, thanks!!

Sleepy Time........

Is Standby enabled on your computer? Are you using your default browser?
I run into the partial download problem when I try to use Firefox, which is not my default browser. When I use my default browser, (which is a heavily "Verizon-ized" version of IE6 (with TABBED browsing)), the downloads proceed just dandy.

As a disclaimer let me add that most of my prolonged downloading is confined to the occasional Linux distro.

No its not going into standby
Yes im using the latest IE, even though my downloads are using a torrent program

Im thinking it would be some setting in the modem, but wouldnt have a clue for the life of me...

Similar happens to me when I run downloads overnight. I wake up and the torrent is idle and I am without an internet connection.

I haven't been able to solve it, but I think it's got something to do with the hundreds of connections active when you download.
When your torrent is running well, in a command prompt type: netstat -n

You will notice that at any time you may have upwards of 100+ connections to different hosts on different ports!

In the case of my PC, I think my NIC's route table becomes mangled and confused. I'll research it further for you and post back if I find anything.

well... help or no help try this software "42 Always-Connected Plug (AC-Plug)"
some ISP's disconnect modems/routers if there is no significant usage (especially in a any internet browser).
Since you're using a software to download, after prolonged usage....
blah...blah...blah.
i dont wanna explain.
Just check it out.

yeah... some ISP do have a idle time-out feature.
check it out HERE
or just google it for more information.

matav said:
some ISP's disconnect modems/routers if there is no significant usage (especially in a any internet browser).

Im pretty sure torrents downloading at 300-500kbps classifies as significant usage... But ill try this program anyway...

I had a suggestion on a different forum that i should just lower the max download speed to about 100kbps, but that defeats the purpose of having high speed internet, surely there is a setting somewhere that causes this, can this happen due to a high increase in internet use?

Try limiting the connections in your torrent program instead of lowering speed, you may be overloading it. I have a similar problem where the modem disconnects but there is no apparent pattern.

Don't know what program your using but the system should max what your have for Max Connections/Server I set it to 50/50 Bot on the PC and on BT program. Make sure you have enough RAM and turn off all offline files usage, system restore, indexing, task schedule.. You might have something running that is causing the system not to keep stable for BT.

DWL = 0
UPL = 110

Don't queue up a ton of files I have a buddy that does that has all sort of problems. Max out at 5 to 8 files and watch the size in kbps.. Make sure the HDD you're saving too is not the same as the OS/Programs. Min is 1GB of RAM and CPU 2.4GHz or higher. Another tip is don't use onboard NIC use PCI or PCI-Express NIC. There are some NIC with dual 16KB buffers TX they cost more but perform better with connections and speed.

matav said:
so did that s/w work - "42 Always-Connected Plug (AC-Plug)"?

No it didnt :s but thanks anyway, think i ust have posted this problem on 10 different forums, and everything it try doesnt seem to work...

ISP might be throttling back your connections for torrents downloading and uploading. You need to encrypt your connection using the software you use for torrents, otherwise you speeds won't be where they should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back